The First-Year Experience is required of all students entering with fewer than 30 credits of transferable college-level work.
- FYEP 101: Writing Seminar (4 credit hours); must be taken in Fall or Spring (unless appropriate writing course previously taken at another college)
- FYEP 190: Inquiry Seminar (4 credit hours); must be taken in either Fall, January, or Spring
- January Term – must take a 4 credit January Term class
Mathematics: Two years of college prep mathematics, C average or better.
Foreign Language: Two years of one foreign language, C average or better.
General Education Program (GenEd): All students who enter PLU Fall 2009 or later
Engaging Arts and Performance (8)
Art, Music, or Theatre, AR (4)
Physical Activity, PE (4): Four activity courses, including PHED 100: Personalized Fitness Program
Interpreting Living Traditions for a Humane Future (16)
Literature, LT (4)
Philosophy, PH (4)
Religion, RC & RG (8): One course from Christian
Traditions, RC, and one course from Global Religious
Exploring Nature and Number (12)
Mathematical Reasoning, MR (4)
Natural Sciences, Computer Sciences, or Mathematics, NS (4)
Science & Scientific Method (4)
Investigating Human Behavior, Culture, & Institutions (8)
Two courses from different disciplines: Anthropology, Economics, History, Political
Science, Psychology, Social Work, or Sociology
Encountering Perspectives on Diversity (8)
Alternative Perspectives, A (4): May simultaneously fulfill another General Education Requirement
Cross-Cultural Perspectives, C (4): May simultaneously fulfill another General Education Requirement
Producing & Presenting Culminating Project, SR (2-4)
International Honors Program (28 credit hours total)
- IHON 111/112 (190): Historical Origins of our Contemporary World (8 credit hours), to be taken in the first year
- 200-level IHON courses: A selection of four courses that focus on contemporary world issues, generally to be taken sophomore and junior year.
- 300-level IHON course: A thematic and values-based final course (4 credit hours)