Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

How often should we update our constitution?

It’s important to update your constitution as often as changes occur within your organization. Considering the constant transitioning of new officers, the constitution may be the only official document a new officer or advisors has to utilize as a resource. The Office of Student Involvement and Leadership does request that student organizations provide them with an updated constitution. We store those constitutions so that future leaders of the group have a document to refer to incase originals where misplaced or destroyed.

How does my organization reserve a room for an activity?

As the leader of your organization you will probably have to schedule a room to use for meetings, workshops, special group sessions or social activities. As an official student organization, you have access to planning events in any of the programmable spaces on campus. The Conference and Events staff are extremely helpful in providing a room that suet your needs. Planning in ADVANCE is still very important considering the number of campus activities from year to year. Don’t wait until the last minute! For assistance with reservations contact Conferences and Events ((253) 535-7450 and during scheduling hours Monday to Friday from 9:00am-4:00pm.

How do I start a new student organization?

As a PLU student, you are encouraged to browse our list of registered student organizations to identify those that might be of interest to you. However, if you do not find what you are looking for, we are hopeful that you and others who share your interest will start something new. If you are interested in starting a new organization, please contact the Program Coordinator of Student Involvement and Leadership at 253-535-8399. You will receive the information necessary to begin the process.

What could happen if our organization is found in violation of any of the university policies?

The Student Code of Conduct governs the behavior of all students and student organizations on and off University premises. The University will address behavior when it adversely affects the University community and/or the pursuit of the University’s objectives. Should actions violate both University regulations and public law, this may result in the application of University disciplinary proceedings in addition to any criminal proceedings. (Cited: PLU Student Code of Conduct).

How do I get a Web site for my organization?

PLU provides free web space to all organizations that want a web site. See the web page information page for details and instructions on getting a site set up.

What should our advisor be doing?

Having an active advisor is essential to the success of your student organization. As a leader of your organization it is important that you provide your advisor with information and ask for assistance and advise whenever you feel the need. You should utilize your advisor as a resource for organization management, differing of policy and guidance on all issues related to the group. Advisors should meet with the president regularly, attend meetings if available and stay abreast of current activities and issues.

What types of advertising media are available to student organizations?

There are a number of different ways that your organization can advertise an upcoming meeting, special event or activity. Posting of flyers and chalking of walkways is one good way to let potential participants know what you are planning. Go to 2008-2009 Club Executive Manual (.pdf) on the web for more details. Remember-don’t wait until the last minute!


How and when are student organizations eligible to receive funding from the Appropriations Board and Student Life Council?

A student organization may be eligible to apply for funding after been formally recognized. Applications for Appropriations Board funding are submitted directly to the ASPLU Finance Director in the ASPLU Office, UC 140. Applications for Student Life’s Travel Expense Grant submitted directly to the Clubs and Orgs Program Coordinator, UC 135.

Are there resources available to help prepare a training retreat for our members?

The Office of Student Involvement and Leadership exists to provide student organization leaders with resources for managing their organizations. Information on team building, goal setting, communication, member appreciation, parliamentary procedure, conflict resolution, meeting management and stress management are just a few of the resources available in the Clubhouse. We have an open office space for students to sit and view our resources and invite organization leaders to ask questions of the staff as often as need be. We are here to help your organizations be successful and for you to become a more dexterous leader.