The PLU Finance and Operations’ Travel and Insurance home page offers the PLU Travel Guideline to assist any organized PLU off-campus student or employee travel or organized off-campus activity requiring transportation. See below for examples of aspects covered by the PLU Travel Guideline:
- Things to know before conducting off-campus activities or travel
- Things to do before you leave the campus
- Your insurance and liability during off-campus travel
- How to arrange transportation for off-campus activities
- Checklist for pre and post travel tasks
- Forms and information to have on each trip
Visit the PLU Finance and Operations’ Travel and Insurance home page to read the full guide and learn more on travel.
Trip Planning & Setting the Itinerary
When traveling for club or organization purposes, your organization must submit a travel itinerary to your advisor and SIL. This itinerary should include:
- Name of person/people traveling
- Drivers and trip leaders (one per vehicle)
- Contact information for trip planner (email, phone(s))
- Address of destination(s)
- Purpose of trip
- Date and time of departure from campus
- Date and time of return to campus
- Estimated time of arrival at destination
- Estimated time of departure from destination
Auto insurance for PLU Travel
The PLU Finance and Operations’ Travel and Insurance web page notes the following about auto insurance dealing with PLU travel:
Personally Owned Vehicles: are not insured for business travel because of state laws. Carpools are not approved transportation! Mileage reimbursement is available for individuals using their personal vehicle for sponsored business. PLU travel emergency assistance is available, however.
Rental Cars in Foreign Countries: Always purchase comprehensive auto insurance from foreign rental car companies. This includes Canada and Mexico. Always report damage/accidents so we can protect you from liability and control costs.
Rental Cars in the US: No need to purchase insurance for rental cars in the US sponsored work activities. Always report damage/accidents so we can protect you from liability and control costs.
Visit the PLU Finance and Operations’ Travel and Insurance home page to learn more about auto insurance and other travel subjects.
24-Hour Auto Accident/Breakdown & Travel Emergency Assistance
If you are having car trouble, Parkland Towing (253-535-0572) and Fife Towing (800-244-9528) offer discounts to PLU students and employees.
In case of an accident involving a PLU vehicle, please follow these steps for vehicle accident and damage reporting outlined by PLU Finance and Operations:
- Always call the police to the scene of the accident. Make sure they record a report for PLU.
- Get from the other drivers: 1) full name 2) driver’s license number 3) personal phone and address 4) insurance co. contact info
- Give this info to others: 1-253-535-7441; PLU; Finance and Operations Office, Tacoma, WA 98447 PLU insurance: Travelers 1-800-832-7839; Policy #: TC2J-CAP-230T5861.
- Substitute personal insurance info if your personal vehicle is involved
Always call Campus Safety immediately to report the accident: 253-535-7441. Notify your department afterward.
Emergency Assistance when 100 miles away from Campus/Home
PLU travel insurance offers 24-hour emergency service to PLU employees and students who have emergencies requiring medical, personal, or legal assistance when 100 miles or more from campus/home on pre-approved travel related to business and curriculum of PLU campus. Students and employees may use the emergency service 24-hour-a-day, 7-days-a-week, 365-days-a-year. To obtain assistance inside the US & Canada, call the AIG Assist 24-hour Worldwide Call Center: 1-800-401-2678.
Please visit the PLU Finance and Operations’ Travel and Insurance home page and click on the “24-Hour Auto Accident/Breakdown & Travel Emergency Assistance” link to view the complete list of emergency services provided, see the steps to obtain emergency assistance (including outside the US & Canada), and know what info to provide when calling for assistance. Click on the “Travel Insurance Employees and Students” link for a summary of benefits about the PLU Travel Insurance. For additional assistance and guidance during an emergency, contact Campus Safety at 253-535-7441 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit the PLU Finance and Operations’ Travel and Insurance home page to learn more on travel.