How to Apply
Commuter Student Lounge
The Commuter Student Lounge is a home away from home for PLU students who live off campus. The lounge offers a space for students to relax, eat, study, and meet other PLU students. As a program of The Diversity Center, the Commuter Student Lounge works towards fulfilling the Center's mission statement through maintaining an open door for all students and creating a supportive and inclusive space for dialouge an opportunities to build lasting and meaningful relationships.
Commuter Community Assistants
Commuter Community Assistants (CCA) are committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive community on campus for commuter students. They serve the commuter community through a variety of responsibilities including engaging with students one-on-one, program development, and staffing the Commuter Student Lounge. This position offers students the opportunity to enhance their leadership skills, promote engagement and leadership among their peers, and be campus advocates for commuter students.
- Commuter Community Assistant (3)
- Commuter Community Assistant - Transfer Student Connections (1)
- Commuter Community Assistant - Diversity and Social Justice (1)
Commuter Student Lounge Responsibilities
Each Commuter Community Assistant will work 8-12 regularly scheduled shift hours per week to staff the Commuter Student Lounge between 7:30am and 5:00pm. Examples of Commuter Community Leader lounge responsibilities include:
- Creating a welcoming and safe environment in the Commuter Student Lounge- greet each person as the come into and leave the lounge, maintain the appearance of the lounge, be attentive to the varying patterns and uses of the lounge
- Engaging with students in one-on-one conversations, be a campus resource, provide information about ways to engage with the PLU community, report students of concern
- Checking the Commuter's Student email account, maintaing the webpage, facebook, and twitter accounts.
- Assist the Programs Coordinator of the Diversity Center in MAPworks follow up for first and second year students
- Collaborate with other PLU student leaders to advocate for commuter student interests and needs
- Commuter Community Assistant- Transfer Student Connections
- Commuter Community Assistant who is interested in developing opportunities designed to meet the unique needs and interested of transfer students. This CCA will have an interest and understanding of the transfer student population and their unique needs and interests.
- Commuter Community Assistant - Diversity and Social Justice
- Commuter Community Assistant who has an interest in sharing their understanding and passion for diversity or social justice issues with the commuter student lounge community. Collaborate with the dAdvocates to promote diversity education on campus.
Commuter Community Assistants will be expected to demonstrate the following:
- 2.7 semester and cumulative GPA and good disciplinary standing with the office of Student Conduct
- Self motivation and team orientation
- An interest and understanding of working with commuter students and their unique needs and interests
- Curiosity to continue their own leadership development
- Appreciation and respect for the diversity within our community
- Organization, efficiency, punctuality, flexibility, and excellent communication skills
- 8-12 hours per week in the Commuter Student Lounge paid at the WA State minimum wage
- Participate in weekly CCA staff meetings
- Participate in the Student Leadership Institute August 28-August 30, 2013
- Outside employment and/or volunteer positions which hinder your ability to be a successful Commuter Student Leader will not be allowed
- Please Submit your application on BOTH the Career Opportunities Board AND complete the supplemental questions located at https://docs.google.com/a/plu.edu/forms/d/17LD by Wednesday February 20, 2013 by midnight
- Candidates will be notified if they are selected to participate in the group process interviews on Wednesday February 27th at 7pm no later than Friday February 22
If you have questions about the Commuter Community Assistant positions please contact Nicole Juliano at firstname.lastname@example.org (253)535-7498