Information Sharing Developer:
Primary Programming Language is Java
Job OverviewThe Information Sharing Developer's responsibilities are to develop, implement, and deploy information sharing systems on behalf of SEARCH clients in local, state, tribal, and federal government settings. The primary programming language is Java, although other programming languages are used. This position is responsible for all aspects of development and implementation activities, including programming, testing, and configuration. The Information Sharing Developer works extensively with open source projects in an agile team environment.
This position reports to the Director of Information Sharing Programs.
Essential Duties and ResponsibilitiesEssential duties and responsibilities include:
- Performs programming, configuration, and testing necessary to implement production-quality information sharing systems for clients. Employs industry best practices in software development (e.g., continuous integration and automated testing) in developing such systems.
- Works on projects that seek to implement information sharing systems employing industry best practices for technology project management (especially agile software development methodologies).
- Implements specifications for web services that leverage XML-based information models.
- Maintains a current and thorough understanding of industry standards and commonly available tools and technologies relevant to enterprise system integration and information sharing; includes such standards, tools, and technologies in architectures, designs, and advice provided to clients.
- Maintains a current and thorough understanding of open source, collaborative models of software development; includes open source system integration tools and technologies in architectures and designs, where appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Information Sharing Programs.
Work Environment and TravelThis is a full-time exempt position, which requires national travel. The corporate office is located in Sacramento, California. Virtual/remote employment is also offered.
- Bachelor's degree in criminal justice, computer science, management of information systems, information technology, and/or related field.
- Graduate degree or comparable experience desirable.
Required and Preferred ExperienceKey candidate capabilities and experience include:
- Object-oriented design and programming skills, and expertise with the Java 2 platform.
- Experience with one or more enterprise integration platforms (prefer open source tools and technologies).
- Configuration and use of source control management systems (Subversion preferred).
- Writing "how-to" guides, implementation documentation, and other technical documents for consumption by diverse audiences; ability to write client reports/correspondence outlining observations, analysis, and recommendations on complex technology topics.
Preferred candidate experience includes:
- Working understanding of:
- XML technologies, including DOM, XPath, XQuery, and XSLT.
- Jenkins, Hudson or other similar Continuous Integration tool
- Apache Maven or other similar build tool
- Apache WSS4J and X.509 certificates
- Spring technologies, including MVC, WebFlow, Security, and JDBC; experience with Spring test suites a plus
- Subversion or other similar source management system
- Unit testing
- WS-I conformant web services on the Java 2 platform.
- WS-ReliableMessaging, WS-Security, WS-Trust, and WS-Addressing.
- Programming languages other than Java.
- Implementing and understanding common Design Patterns in Java.
- Code refactoring to improve readability, facilitate maintenance, and reduce complexity.
- Federated identity management technologies and standards, especially SAML and XACML.
Required Certificates, Licenses, RegistrationsA current driver's license and proof of auto insurance are required.
CompensationCompensation depending on experience. SEARCH offers an excellent benefits package including retirement, health, dental, disability, vacation, and sick leave. Successful completion of a background check is required.
Interested applicants must submit a resume and cover letter describing concisely how their experience and skills align with the identified job responsibilities. Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application closing date: Open until filled.
SEARCH is an Equal Opportunity Employer.