Track One- Diversity Center
Rieke Scholars will work with PLU's Diversity Center. Ther is an expected time commitment of three hours per week for the academic year, which is structured around self-exploration around issues of social justice and diversity. Hours will be checked at the end of each semester. Through involvement in the DIversity Center, Scholars will enrich the fabric of university Life While increasing their own leadership skills.
Track Two- Word Up! Facilitator
Word Up! facilitators strive to engage first year students in dialouges about the fundamental components of identity and the dynamics of power and oppression in order to foster the development of social justice allies. Word Up! facilitators must commit to 2 skills trainings an academic year; at least 3 Word Up! workshops for the first year students per semester; and volunteer 2 hours per week in The Diversity Center.
- Download a PDF copy of the Rieke Leadership Application
- Any full time undergraduate student with demonstrated leadership and/or active involvement in activities within a multi-ethnic context, is eligible to apply
- All applicants must submit an application form
- First time applicants must include two letters of reference from individuals who can provide an official evaluation of your leadership activities in a multi-ethnic context, such as teachers, professors, pastors, multi-ethnic community leaders, and/or guidance counselors
- Typed essays of 500 words or less