Master of Arts in Education-Alternative Routes to Certification
If you have questions about the admissions process at PLU, please contact the Office of Admissions at (253)535-7151.
We accept applications through April 1.
Click here to download the application to the Alternative Routes to Certification program!
Thank you for your interest in the teacher education programs at PLU. The following material will be used when reviewing your file:
- Applicants must complete a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution prior to enrollment in the MAE-Alternative Routes/Teacher Certification program. Degrees attained from foreign institutions must be translated and evaluated for U.S. equivalency by an accredited agency.
- Attained a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher from all college coursework.
- Complete the application.
- Submit a $40.00 non-refundable application fee.
- Submit official transcript(s) from ALL previous colleges or universities attended. All transcripts must be sent directly from the school to PLU Office of Graduate Admission, Tacoma, WA 98447-0003
- Submit a written essay identifying and discussing three value commitments that will influence your work as a teacher. It should be between 500 and 750 words in length on a separate piece of paper. Please reference your name on each page.
- Submit a resume.
- Submit two letters of recommendation. One academic/professional reference and one that specifically speaks about your work with young people.
- Submit passing scores from the Washington Educator Skills Test - Basic (WEST-B).
- Interview by invitation. If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by the School of Education to schedule an interview time.
- Submit a passing score on the WEST-E exam in your content area. If you are pursing an endorsement in a world language, you must also submit scores of at least Advanced Low on both the oral and written sections of the ACTFL.