Pre-AP* English Vertical Teams
We are pleased to welcome Suzanna Colby to the 2014 AP* Summer Institute!
Registration is now open - Register before June 1 to get Early Bird Price!
Ann Jackson retired from Crosby High School in Crosby, Texas, where she taught English for 17 years and served as department chair and English vertical team leader. She has taught all levels of high school English, including Pre-AP English II and AP Language and Composition. Prior to her experience in Texas, she taught English in Louisiana for 16 years. An endorsed College Board consultant in one- and two-day workshops and summer institutes, Ms. Jackson was twice recognized as Crosby High School’s Teacher of the Year and is a recipient of the Goldin Foundation Excellence in Education award. She holds a B.S. in secondary education and an M.Ed. in supervision and administration from Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge. Contact information: email@example.com
English Vertical Teams
Participants in this course will gain a basic understanding of AP English Language and Composition and AP English Literature and Composition and the role of Pre-AP English classes. They will share best practices and work together to develop a unit on a work of their choice.
Topics will include the following:
- How to structure curriculum, instruction and assessment to prepare students for AP courses
- Classroom strategies in fiction, nonfiction, poetry and drama
- Discussion techniques
- Close reading and annotation
- Style and rhetorical analysis
- Writing for SAT, ACT and AP
- Preparing Pre-AP students for the synthesis question
- Strategies for successful vertical teaming
- Designing a unit for a novel, play or other long work
What participants should bring:
- A novel, play or other long work you would like to teach, but for which you have not developed a unit
- Sticky notes