National Board Support
Pacific Lutheran University is pleased to offer an all online support program for National Board Candidates! The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) is an intensive program for accomplished teachers who are looking to demonstrate their teaching and grow in the process.
The PLU support program aims to demystify the process of National Board Certification. Under the guidance of experienced facilitators, discover how successful participants think and write while analyzing practice relative to the standards. Facilitators will assist participants in navigating some of the most common and challenging pinch points in the process while also presenting tools and strategies for success. PLU is excited to offer this all online partnership support program for National Board candidates in partnership with Learners Edge. Anyone can apply, though the program is especially designed for candidates without accessible cohort support.
2015-2016 Support Focus: Component II, Differentiation in Instruction
Our unique support community includes the following:
- Online, synchronous and asynchronous support.
- Synchronous support includes cohort meetings with experienced facilitators (8 meetings total).
- Asynchronous Online Forum and Chat for additional support
- 24-7 access to PLU support materials through specific online tools.
- Specific guidance for understanding National Board standards, Component II development, descriptive, reflective, and analytical writing.
- 5 semester hours of graduate level continuing education credits
PLU’s professional development programs employ small supportive cohorts facilitated by trained National Board Certified Teachers. Our experienced facilitators and small cohort size help candidates manage their time, reflect on their practice and overcome some of the barriers that are presented throughout the process. We look forward to supporting you in your professional development journey!
- Applications for 2015-2016 are now closed.
- Eight Synchronous Cohort Meetings: October 14, 2015 to March 16, 2016 Click here for the schedule.
- Technology orientation in early October to assist students with online platforms
- Cost: $600
Application Process (closed for 2015-2016):
Eligibility Requirements: Hold a current teaching certificate, completed 3 full years of teaching, completed application and registration process with both PLU and NBPTS.*
1. Complete the online application available here. The application includes a writing prompt and a section to upload transcripts from your teacher preparation program. Attach this FERPA form to your application.
2. Send a check for $50.00 for your application review to:
Pacific Lutheran University
Center for Graduate and Continuing Education
12180 Park Avenue South
Tacoma, WA 98447
3. Register with the National Organization prior to the first facilitated session. (http://boardcertifiedteachers.org/get-started/value-for-teachers)
Financial Aid Opportunities
If you are interested in applying for financial aid or scholarships for the NBPTS application process, you can do so through state and NBPTS funding. To find out about financial aid and scholarships through NBPTS, click here.
Please note: NBPTS fees are separate from National Board Support fees and are paid directly to NBPTS. Click here for NBPTS fee information.