Division of Finance and Administration
Auto Insurance for PLU Travel
Personally Owned Vehicles: Employee or student owned vehicles used for PLU business are not covered by PLU’s insurance. Mileage reimbursement is available for individuals using their personal vehicle for university sponsored business. Carpools are not authorized. Instructors/trip leaders should announce that participants are responsible for their own transportation if PLU transportation is not provided.
Rental Cars in Foreign Countries: When renting a vehicle in foreign countries (including Canada and Mexico) always purchase rental insurance. Report any damage/accidents to the university so we can protect you from liability.
Rental Cars in the US: When renting in the US do not purchase rental vehicle insurance. PLU’s auto liability insurance covers PLU certified drivers in rental vehicles during PLU sponsored activities.
Reporting and Auto Accident: Always contact the police to report an auto accident. Contact Campus Safety, 253-535-7441, and ask them to log the report and notify PLU’s Risk Manager. For more information about reporting refer to Traveling by Vehicle for PLU in documents and forms.
Certificate of Insurance
Certificates of Insurance are also known as Proof of Insurance. At least one week prior to the event, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information to request a certificate.
- Name of Business and Contact Person
- Address, Fax, Phone, and e-mail of Business
- Date and Brief Description of Event/Activity
- Special terms or Text Required, for example: “additional insured status”
Property: Personal and PLU
Personal Property: Personally owned books, research works, artifacts, computers, clothes, equipment, etc., are not insurable by the university.
List items with a homeowners or renters insurance policy. Alert your insurer that items are stored on campus or traveling with you! Information about inexpensive renters insurance is available at the Residential Life Office or call 253-535-7200.
PLU Property: PLU property is insured and is subject to a deductible. Contact our office to report theft of equipment, or damage to university buildings, grounds, art, equipment, or vehicles.
Here is a list of downloadable forms offered by the office of Finance and Administration thus far.
- Travel Checklist
- Emergency Management Instructions
- Emergency Information Template
- Traveling by Auto for PLU
- 24 Hour Foreign Travel Emergency Services for PLU employees and students
- 24 Hour Travel Assistance for PLU Employees
- Off Campus Incident Report
- Student Activity or Club Long Waiver
- Club Sport or Intramural Athletics Long Waiver
- Risk Management Planning Worksheet
- Departure Waiver
- Off-Site Class or Activity Notice
- Participant Agreement for Off-Campus Study-Student Conduct