What Is Verification?
Verification is a federal regulation that requires PLU to confirm the accuracy of the information you submitted on your FAFSA.
1. Why me?
The federal FAFSA processor selects students submitting a FAFSA at every school.
2. What do I (and my parents, if a dependent student) have to do?
- Provide documentation of the 2012 U.S. Income Tax Return if one was filed and you were selected to provide this documentation.
- Complete the applicable PLU 2013-14 Verification Worksheet.
3. How do I get my tax information to PLU?
There are two ways to do this:
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on www.fafsa.gov. This is the best way to provide PLU with 2012 tax return information. This allows your completed tax information to be populated into your FAFSA. This can be done two weeks after your tax return is filed with the IRS, if done electronically, four weeks if a paper return was mailed to the IRS. You cannot use the IRS Data Retrieval tool if you cannot answer "no" to all of the questions presented. You must request a Tax Return Transcript if the IRS Data Retrieval tool is not an option for you.
- Order a Tax RETURN transcript directly from the IRS on line or call 1-800-908-9946. You must then submit the Tax Return Transcript you receive from the IRS to the PLU Financial Aid Office
4. What happens if I don’t complete verification?
- Your need based aid will be canceled.
- Your class registration will be canceled, put on hold, or you won’t be able to register.
- The university will charge late fees to your student account.
- You will be responsible for paying your entire costs without the benefit of financial aid.
5. Can verification change my aid?
YES! If the information on your FAFSA is different than the information on your tax forms and verification worksheet, your aid could be affected.
6. How will I know if I have been selected for verification?
- The letter on the first page of the 2013-2014 Federal Student Aid Report (SAR) will be the first place you will be told. If you filed FAFSA on the web your SAR will be sent to your email address. Read the SAR when you get it!
- You will be sent an email from the PLU Financial Aid Office starting in the spring. This email will tell you to go to your Banner Web Account and see what documents you are required to submit.
7. When can I be selected for verification?
Selection for verification may occur whenever a change is made to your FAFSA data at anytime during the year. This makes prompt attention to submitting the required documents very important!
8. What if I have requested a Special Circumstance be considered on my FAFSA?
Verification must be completed even though a Special Circumstance Letter has been applied to your FAFSA data. The Special Circumstance Letter will be re-applied to your verified FAFSA information.
Please note: Verification of parent and/or student information could result in an adjustment (increase or decrease) to the “Offer of Financial Aid.”