Discovering Horizons Together
Your first step in a successful first year is participation in Discovering Horizons Together. Your first days as a Lute will go quickly, so PLU has designed an orientation program designed to:
- Prepare you for academic success;
- Introduce you to peer leaders and dedicated staff;
- Learn about the PLU community;
- Take part in timeless Lute traditions; and
- Investigate involvement opportunities on and off-campus.
On the Road
On the Road is our off-campus orientation adventure. Explore Tacoma, Pierce County and the world outside campus while meeting other new students, faculty, staff and current student leaders. You will have the opportunity to serve in the community, experience outdoor adventure, or enjoy local arts. On the Road trips are hosted by faculty, staff and continuing students. Check out the orientation web site for more information about specific trips. Trips are reserved on a first-come, first-reserved basis. Examples of the road trips include:
- Habitat restoration with the Tacoma Audubon Society
- Tour of the Museum of Glass
- Beach-bumming at Owen Beach
- Rock Climbing
- Visit Northwest Trek
- Musical jam session
- Children's Museum of Tacoma service project
- Tour and shop Freighthouse Square
- Learn how to salsa dance
- White-water rafting
- Independent film showing at Grand Cinema
This is an overnight experience bringing together new students, faculty and staff to think about life's purpose as related to our educational journey. Through collaboration and discussion in a beautiful Pacific Northwest setting, we make time to discover our goals and passions during a pause from life's fast pace. In the words of last year's participants, EXPLORE! is rewarding...community... and fun!
Find out more.