Required immunizations and Tuberculosis screening
- All students born after December 31, 1956 are required to provide documentation of two MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) vaccinations received after the first birthday. This information must be on file before a student is permitted to register.
- MMR vaccinations are available at the Health Center for no charge or $15 in some cases. The second dose can be administered no sooner than four weeks after the first. If no documentation is available titers can be done to prove immunity. Please call for the current price for titers.
- Requests for immunization exemption can be made at the Health Center. Exemptions can be based on medical, religious, or personal grounds. If a student is granted an exemption and there is a suspected disease outbreak on campus, the student will be restricted from the campus for the duration of the outbreak. In addition, exempt students may be ineligiblefor certain university sponsored activities.These activities may include, but are not limited to off-campus programs and classes, athletic programs and competitions, and study abroad.
- International students, faculty and visiting scholars from countries at risk will be required to have a tuberculosis skin test (PPD). This test must be done at the Student Health Center after arrival at PLU. The cost is $20.00. All positive tests are required by the Tacoma Pierce County Health Department to be evaluated by a chest x-ray to rule out active disease.
- MMR vaccinations and PPD testing must be done at the same time or at least four weeks apart. International students needing MMR vaccination are asked to get them at least four weeks before arrival or to wait until after arrival so the vaccination can coincide with the PPD test.