Why Students Do Internships
- Gain Real Work Experience to build upon classroom theories, complete interesting and challenging tasks, and make real decisions and solve relevant problems.
- Learn New Skills important to their professional career field and develop the skills they have to a higher professional level.
- Build Their Resume to enhance their credibility and qualifications for a job after graduation.
- Begin a Professional Network, practice utilizing it, and develop their professional social skills.
- Work With a Potential Full-Time Employer that they consider desirable for full-time employment after graduation.
- Get a Post Graduation Job Offer
- Earn Money – To be a productive employee in their career field while still learning about it. Student feels more confident that he/she will be given real challenges and provided the resources to be effective at a higher professional standard if they are paid.
- Test Out an Industry or Organization – Students are rarely exposed to the working side of their career field before they graduate. The internship gives them that opportunity and can be a deciding factor on whether they will choose to continue in that field.
- Fulfill Academic Requirements and receive college credit towards graduation.