User Services is a service area within Information & Technology Services that operates the Help Desk, a front-end to technology-related services for the PLU community. User Support purchases, installs, and maintains university computers and provides troubleshooting assistance with computers and software. Instructional Technologies (ITech) provides assistance with learning technologies such as Sakai, Turnitin, and Google Apps for Education. Instructional Technologies operates two digital media labs: the Design Lab in the Library and the Wiegand Multimedia Lab in Morken Center. The Web Development team provides technical support and web integration services for web systems such as Sakai and web applications such as the PLU search and online directory. Classroom & Events Technologies provides classroom technology installation and support as well as multimedia technology support for events.
User Services Mission Statement
To enable the PLU community
with user-centric service, support and training
to enhance the use of technology
in teaching and learning.
- Empowering users with information technology and skills for enhancing teaching and learning.
- Providing responsive and patient technology support and quality customer service for teaching and learning.
- Fostering continuous learning and exploration to keep pace with changing technologies.
- Providing learning opportunities and tools for the collection, organization and distribution of new media.
- Integrating and supporting user-centric administrative, learning management, and content management systems.
- Information technology embedded, realized, and sustained.
User Services Teams
Led by Layne Nordgren, Director for User Services/Instructional Technologies, four teams comprise User Services:
Classroom & Event Technologies
The Classroom & Event Technologies team is led by Travis Pagel, Classroom & Events Technology Team Lead. Joining Travis are Patrick Wakefield, Instructional Technologist, and Amy Robbins, Classroom & Events Technologies Coordinator.
The Instructional Technologies team is led by Katie Martell, Instructional Technologies Team Manager. Katie is responsible for the digital media labs and coordinating projects of the Instructional Technologies team with Classroom & Events Technologies and Web Development.
The Web Development team is led by Darren Struthers, Senior Web Developer. Joining Darren are Sean Horner, Web Applications Developer; and Ola Peterson, Web Systems Developer.
The User Support team is led by David Rebar, User Support Team Lead. Joining David are Randy Ainsworth, Senior Technical Support Specialist; David Domask, Help Desk Specialist; Linda Harmon, User Services Data Systems Manager; Jonathan Johnson, Software Support Specialist; and Darren Moore, Computer Purchasing and Services Coordinator.