Application Requirements, Procedures, and Deadlines/Timelines
How to Apply
You may apply in two ways:
Send Graduate Application form and all application materials to:
PLU Office of Admission--Graduate Programs
12180 Park Avenue South
Tacoma, WA 98447-0003
- Applications for fall 2014 will be available as of JULY 1, 2013
- Application Materials Due - January 31
- Interview Notification - Mid-February through end of April
- Interview Date - To be arranged
- Advance Deposit - within three weeks of acceptance date
- Classes begin--early September
Candidates should hold a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in Family Studies, Human Services, Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, or the equivalent; If candidates do not hold a Bachelor’s in the above fields, then 15 semester hours (or 22.5 quarter hours) in Family Studies, Human Services, Psychology, Sociology, Social Work or the equivalent.
Please note: The GRE is not required for your application to the PLU MFT program.
- Graduate application and $40.00 non-refundable application fee payable to PLU.
- Résumé: Submit a résumé that includes your employment history; significant academic, professional, and community achievements;honors and awards.
- Comprehensive career statement that addresses the following questions:
- What significant cultural experiences have most influenced your present development and your desire to be a couple and family therapist?
- What are your professional career goals after completing your degree?
- What are your strengths that will help you achieve your professional goals?
- What do you consider to be areas for personal growth that may need the most attention during your training as a therapist at PLU?
- Note: Statement should be a maximum of five double-spaced, typed pages. Please reference your name on each page.
- Two Recommendations – academic recommendations encouraged. Each letter of recommendation with written comments must be accompanied by the PLU MFT Recommendation Form, and may be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to 253-536-5136, or by mail to the above address. Alternately, you may send your recommenders a link to the PLU MFT Online Recommendation Form.
- Official transcripts from all higher-education institutions (no exceptions), sent directly from the institution to PLU at the above address. Students applying with degrees from institutions outside the US must submit official transcripts in the original language as well as a certified English translation. All transcripts and degrees attained from foreign institutions must be evaluated on for US degree equivalency by a PLU approved evaluation service. Two approved services are: Foreign Credential Translation and Evaluation Services (F.I.S) and World Education Services (W.E.S.)
same as above
same as above with additional requirements--please click here to see international applicant requirements
Once all of your materials have been received and reviewed you may be contacted for an interview appointment.
Acceptance to the MFT Program
A non-refundable deposit to be credited towards the first semester's tuition must accompany your acceptance of an offer of admission to the MFT program within three weeks of your acceptance date.
Please contact the PLU Office of Admission, Graduate Programs at email@example.com or by phone at 253-535-7151 or 1-800-274-6758.