Rainier Writing Workshop
NEWS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
"....an experience I'll carry with me through my entire writing life and it's shaped me in ways I'm only beginning to understand."
- March, 2013: RWW Faculty Member, David Huddle, has won the 2013 PEN New England award for best work of poetry. The award was presented at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum on Sunday, March 24, 2013.
- January, 2013: Kelli Agodon (MFA 07) Her third book of poems, Hourglass Museum, was just accepted for publication by White Pine Press
- The 2012-2014 Washington State Poet Laureate is Kathleen Flenniken, an MFA graduate class of 2007
- In the June 10th, 2012 article by LA Times book critic David Ulin, two out of the "Five Books that Grab Attention," are written by PLU MFA faculty: Judith Kitchen and Lia Purpura.
- December 2012: Reversal, a new memoir written by PLU MFA faculty Judith Kitchen.
- '08 MFA graduate April Lawson was awarded the George Plimpton Prize by Paris Review, 2011
- Current student, Natalie Haney Tilghman, won first place for Fiction in The Atlantic Monthly Student Writing Contest, 2011
- Current student, Mandy Clark, appeared on Good Morning America Friday, June 17, 2011, because of her writing project.
- Three of the finalists in the prestigious National Poetry Series are Rainier Writing Workshop participants: one current student, one graduate, and one faculty member.
- '07 MFA graduate Kelli Agodon has won the Gold Medal Book of the Year award, 2010
- Amy Andrews has won the 2010 New Millennium Writings Award for Nonfiction for her essay, "hide and seek."
- Natalie Tilghman, just back from her stint as visiting artist at the American Academy in Rome, has had a story selected for a young adult anthology from Persea Books.
- Erin Hollowell received the Rona Jaffe Foundation Scholarship in Poetry to the Breadloaf Writers Conference for Summer, 2010.
- Casey Fuller has been awarded the 2010 Jeanne Lohmann Poetry Prize, a statewide prize for Washington State poets. (NB: Boyd Benson was the winner in 2009.)
- Rick Dakan's new novel, The Cthulhu Cult: A Novel of Lovecraftian Obsession, is now out and available at Amazon.com.
- Holly Hughes' anthology, Beyond Forgetting: Poetry and Prose about Alzheimer's Disease, was selected for a 2010 Independent Publisher Book Award.