Application Requirements and Procedures
Deadline for summer start programs: November 15
Deadline for Fall start programs: July 1
Summer Start Programs
Fall Start Programs
Classes Begin—mid June
Classes Begin—early September
Admission requirements for ENTRY-LEVEL (ELMSN) AND RN-B TO MASTER OF SCIENCE IN NURSING
The following application requirements pertain to the Entry-Level Master of Science in Nursing program (for applicants with a non-nursing background) and the RN-B to Master of Science in Nursing program (for RNs with a non-nursing bachelor's).
Pre-Requisites - to be completed before the program start date:
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) minimum cumulative GA
- Completion with a minimum grade of 3.0 (B) or better in each course:
- College-level Statistics (both descriptive and inferential)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I (with on-site lab within last six years)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II (with on-site lab within last six years)
- Developmental Psychology—Lifespan
- Intro to Microbiology (with on-site lab within last six years)
Download the Comparable Course Guide to see courses at Washington universities and colleges which can fulfill nursing prerequisite course requirements.Additional Pre-Requisites for RN-B to MSN Applicants:
- Current, unencumbered WA State RN License (Note: PLU will verify licensure via the Dept. of Health; do not make a copy of your
- Nursing 430, Situations with Communities (5 semester units, offered at PLU in the spring) Note: All pre-requisites must be completed by the program start date.
HOW TO APPLY
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR ADDITIONAL APPLICATION MATERIALS
Create online application account and submit the $40 non-refundable application fee.
Submit the information for two recommenders via the online application portal. References may be academic or professional.
Submit your Resume: Submit a resume that includes your employment history; significant academic, professional, and community achievements;honors and awards. Resume should be uploaded to the online application portal or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Have official transcripts sent from all colleges and universities attended: We accept and prefer electronic delivery of official transcripts. Have them sent email@example.com. If the college or university does not offer electronic delivery, please have them mail your transcripts to: Graduate Programs, Pacific Lutheran University 12180 Park Avenue S., Tacoma, WA 98447
*Students applying with degrees from institutions outside the US must submit a course-by-course evaluation by a PLU approved evaluation service. Two approved providers are Foreign Credential Translation and Evaluation Services (FIS) and World Education Services (WES).
Submit your Statement of Goals: Submit a typed statement of educational and professional goals via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The statement should not exceed four double-spaced pages. Please reference your name on each page. Applicants should include the following information in their statements:
- Discuss why you are interested in a career in nursing.
- Describe how the Advanced Generalist Entry-Level MSN (or the RN-B to MSN program, as appropriate) program at PLU
will fulfill your career goals.
Have official Graduate Record Exam(GRE) Scores sent to PLU from ETS. The PLU code is 4597.
GRE preferred scores (current score format): 150 verbal, 150 quantitative, 4.0 analytical writing
GRE preferred scores (old score format) 500 verbal, 500 quantitative, 4.0 analytical writing
*Scores must be within the last five years. Scores older than five years will be accepted from students who have completed a master's degree in the last five years
Submit School of Nursing Online Graduate Application Addenda Packet
All applicants must complete the School of Nursing Graduate Application Addenda Packet. Additional documentation may be required; read all directions carefully. You will be able to save your progress and resume at a later time.
These checklist items are a part of the MSN Addenda Packet:
- Questions Relative to Licensure form
- Educational Background and Transfer Credit Policy form with required attachments
- Policy/Procedures Regarding English Proficiency form
- Physical and Psychological Expectations of Nursing Students (Note: For applicant’s information only; do not submit this page)
- Post-master's candidates only: verification of clinical practicum hours form
Download, sign, and send by mail the WA State Patrol Disclosure Affidavit and WA State Patrol Background Check, along with a $15.00 cashiers check or money order to:
PLU Office of Admission
12180 Park Avenue South
Tacoma, WA 98447
In addition to the above listed application requirements, international students must provide:
- Official Internet Based TOEFL scores. (TOEFL iBT minimum scores: 86 cumulative score, with minimum individual scores of 26 speaking, 20 writing, 20 reading, and 20 listening)
- Passport picture page
In order for PLU to pursue visa document preparation, an admitted international students must:
- Accept our offer of admission
- Turn in a "Declaration of Finance" form
See additional International Student Information and Requirements
ADVANCE TUITION DEPOSIT
Because space is limited in the MSN program, applicants accepted into the program are required to make a $300.00 non-refundable advance tuition deposit within three weeks of their acceptance date to confirm their acceptance of an offer of admission. The deposit is not a separate fee, but goes toward your tuition expenses. Click here to make your non-refundable $300.00 tuition deposit.