Applied Voice Lessons
- Barry Johnson attracted national attention in 1990 as a winner of the Bel Canto Competition of Chicago. Creator of more than 50 opera roles, Mr. Johnson is a frequent guest with companies throughout the country including Seattle Opera, Tacoma Opera, Opera Colorado, Anchorage Opera, Portland Opera, Stockton Opera, Central City Opera, Las Vegas Opera, and the Wildwood Festival in Little Rock, Arkansas.
- Notable roles in his repertoire include the title role in The Marriage of Figaro, Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet, Schaunard in La Boheme, Dancairo in Carmen, Yamadori in Madame Butterfly, Masetto in Don Giovanni, Prince Ottokar in Der Freischutz, Angelotti in Tosca, Papageno in The Magic Flute, Don Alfonso in Cosi Fan Tutte, Fleville in Andrea Chenier, Dr. Falke in Die Fledermaus, and the Pirate King in The Pirates of Penzance.
- On the concert stage, Mr. Johnson has been a soloist with orchestras throughout the Northwest including Seattle Symphony, American Sinfonietta, Tacoma Symphony, Yakima Symphony, Northwest Sinfonietta, and the Pacific Lutheran University Symphony. Concert engagements have included Orff's Carmina Burana, Handel's Messiah, Brahms' Ein Deutsches Requiem, Rachmaninoff's The Bells, Haydn's Creation, Frahm's War Cantata, Bach's Magnificat, Mozart's Requiem, and Faure's Requiem.
- Mr. Johnson s professional stage directing credits include Puccini's La Boheme, Bernstein's Trouble in Tahiti, Puccini's Tosca, Menotti's The Telephone, and Pasatieri's La Divina, with Tacoma Opera.
- As Director of Opera Workshop at Pacific Lutheran University from 1994 to 2004, Mr. Johnson's fully staged productions included Lehar's The Merry Widow, Mozart's The Magic Flute, Sondheim's Into the Woods, Sullivan's The Pirates of Penzance, and Puccini's Gianni Schicchi and Suor Angelica.