For Music Chair candidate files, please click here.
Chair, Department of Music
Associate or Full Professor
Rank and Salary: Associate or Full Professor; salary commensurate with qualifications and experience + benefits package
Work Schedule: Full-time, tenure-track position starting September 1, 2014. 12-month contract; 50% administrative release.
Closing Date: Review of application materials will begin on December 1, 2013, and continue until the position is filled.
Description: The Department of Music of the School of Arts and Communication at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, WA, seeks a dynamic chair with a vision to sustain and advance a widely acclaimed program of artistic and academic excellence.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provide academic and artistic leadership of a vibrant and multifaceted department–oversee policy,personnel and budgetary matters. Sustain and advance program through active student recruitment and faculty development.
- Manage a collaborative leadership environment and be responsible for:academic planning;assessment and enhancement of the program and curriculum; faculty evaluation; coordination of teaching assignments and schedules; facilities use; budgeting and allocation of resources; student advisement; annual music scholarships process; oversight of a robust international and national ensemble touring schedule; and accreditation.
- Work collegially with in a university-wide faculty governance structure. Foster support for school - wide and university goals.
- Advocate effectively for the department with in and outside the university both regionally and the national music community. Encourage collaborative interdisciplinary programming – within the department, school, and across the university.
- Teach a 50% load (equivalent of three courses) based upon expertise and the needs of the department.
- Supervise office personnel and work closely with the Dean of the School of Arts and Communication to develop additional resources.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Energetic teacher/scholar/artist with a specialty in a field of music taught within the Department of Music.
- Demonstrated excellence as an administrator with a distinguished record of continuing research/creative activity.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of emerging technologies for use in the classroom and in research in order to manage and sustain departmental initiatives.
- Terminal degree in music (PhD or DMA) and a record of excellence in teaching and artistic or scholarly activity.
- Academic leadership experience at the level of chair or a demonstrable track record of increasing leadership responsibilities required.
- Preference given to candidates with at least three years of demonstrable administrative experience including a history of resources management, recruiting, promotion of university music programs, program development, community outreach, strategic planning, experience with national accreditation agencies, and success in fundraising.
- Submit letter of application; curriculum vitae; a statement describing leadership vision and the most important issues facing music programs within liberal art institutions; and the names, email addresses, and telephone numbers of five references. Nominations are also accepted.
- Additional materials may be required at a later date.
- To view complete job description and application procedures and to submit materials, please visit https://employment.plu.edu
The Department of Music is housed within the School of Arts and Communication at Pacific Lutheran University (PLU). This comprehensive program of artistic and academic excellence, involving 25% of all undergraduates at the university, offers the professional Bachelor of Music in Performance and Bachelor of Music Education degrees, the Bachelor of Musical Arts degree, and the Bachelor of Arts in Music degree to approximately 200 undergraduate music majors. The music department’s faculty is composed of renowned performers, composers, and scholars, drawn from the nation’s finest conservatories and universities, in a rich mix of full-time (15) and part-time instructors (43). Housed in Mary Baker Russell Music Center, with its exquisite Lagerquist Concert Hall and state-of-the-art rehearsal and learning facilities, over 150 performances are presented by stu- dents, faculty artists, and renowned guest performers each academic year. The Department of Music has been accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) since 1978. Further information about the Department of Music can be found at: www.plu.edu/music.
PLU is a comprehensive university with an enrollment of about 3,500 students, including international students from two dozen countries. Located in a uniquely scenic region on the Pacific Rim, the university’s campus is 40 miles south of Seattle in suburban Tacoma, Washington. PLU’s academic program is an integration of the liberal arts and professional programs, and the university’s mission is to educate students for lives of thoughtful inquiry, service, leadership, and care. PLU enjoys a healthy and progressive relationship with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The university is committed to exploring, affirming and enriching dignity and diversity in the campus community and endorses the goals of equal opportunity and affirmative action. PLU actively seeks applications from women, and persons of color.
To view complete job description and application procedures please visit https://employment.plu.edu
For further information or nominations contact: Dr. Cameron Bennett at 253-535-7150