PLU President Loren J. Anderson and Regent Don Morken unveil a drawing of the future Morken Center for Learning and Technology.
The state-of-the art Center for Learning and Technology will bear the name of a family with a long history of supporting PLU. Construction began with a groundbreaking for the first phase of the project and a naming ceremony in May.
The new home of the School of Business, the Department of Computer Science and Computer Engineering and the Department of Mathematics is now known as The Morken Center for Learning and Technology. The name honors Don Morken '60 and his family, who for decades have been deeply involved in the PLU community as friends, volunteers, counselors and financial supporters.
"The new Center for Learning and Technology will become a major attraction for the best and brightest students, but just as importantly, it will help PLU continue to attract top-caliber professors who wish to teach in an environment that facilitates learning at an advanced level, utilizing in the process the most advanced technology," Morken said during a groundbreaking luncheon in May.
Morken is a member of the Board of Regents and currently serves as the chairman of the Investment Sub-Committee. He has previously served as chair of its Budget and Finance Committee. He was awarded the PLU Distinguished Alumnus Award in 1996 for his professional distinction in the field of investment management and his outstanding dedication and service to PLU, and is co-chair of The Campaign for Pacific Lutheran University: The Next Bold Step.
Morken's father, Ed, served on the Board of Regents from 1949 to 1966. His aunt, R. Eline Kraable Morken, was director of the PLU School of Nursing from 1953 to 1967. His daughter, Sonya (Morken '00) Prata, is an MBA graduate, and his son-in-law, Anthony Prata, is a student. Both are continuing the Morken tradition of involvement in and support for PLU as members of Q Club.
Morken and his wife, Wanda, have provided financial support for the general operating budget, the endowment, the Genesee Scholarships, the Morken Family Endowed Scholarship and KPLU. They have encouraged others to give through Q Club challenge gifts and have themselves participated in Q Club at its highest level. They have also provided funds to establish the first Distinguished Professorship at the university and they co-endowed the Raphael Lemkin Prize for an annual student essay competition about genocide. They are members of PLU's Heritage Society and Lifetime Giving Society.
In April 2000 the Morken family made a commitment to provide lead funding for The Center for Learning and Technology. An initial gift is funding the planning and the first phases of construction of the building. Through past and future commitments made to the university, the Morkens also will fund an endowment that will help ensure the future of the facility.
The Morken Center will be located on lower campus west of Rieke Science Center. To date more than $11.5 million has been raised for construction of the $19 million facility.