One category of information covered by FERPA is called "directory information." PLU's definition of "directory information" (information which we may make available to the public upon request) includes:
- student name
- local and permanent addresses
- telephone numbers
- e-mail address
- date and place of birth
- participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- weight and height of members of athletic teams
- dates of attendance
- class standing
- previous educational agency or institution(s) attended
- major and minor fields of study
- anticipated date of graduation (if that has not yet occurred)
- degree(s) and award(s) conferred (including dates)
PLU's primary use of "directory information" is in writing press releases for students involved in music, drama, athletics or representing PLU in other public capacities. Please be assured that PLU uses discretion when releasing information and does not routinely give out addresses or telephone numbers. Email addresses are available on the PLU web.
PLU may disclose any of those items without prior written consent through the PLU Student Directory and/or in any other way unless an "eligible student" (18 years or over) or a parent (if the student is under 18 years of age) gives notice in writing to the contrary to the Office of the Vice President for Student Life. The student or parent must sign a form restricting the disclosure of the directory information, as it pertains to said student, by the last day of registration for any given academic term at this University.
PLEASE NOTE: In signing the form of total non-disclosure:
- information will not be given via telephone (even if requested by the student/parent),
- information will not be disclosed to the media, and
- you will not receive any campus mailings or emails (this includes important PLU safety updates via email).
- Total non-disclosure also requires registration and all university business to occur in person.
Upon request, PLU discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
Information Not Disclosed
According to the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), the following is not considered directory information and may not be disclosed in any way (except to a school official with a legitimate educational interest, or to a third party with a signed and dated consent from the student):
- Student identification numbers
- Social Security numbers
- Ethnic / race / nationality
If an individual requests student information not included under the term "directory information", the university must obtain written permission (signed and dated) from the student before disclosing this information.