Office of
Student Employment


Student Employment

Student Employment
What is work study?

Students awarded work study have satisfied requirements through their FAFSA filing that makes them eligible for either Federal or State Work Study. This gives a student the opportunity to earn money that can be put toward their living expenses or their tuition that is actually paid out of either Federal or State funds. One of the benefits of any money earned through work study is that it is not considered as an income resource on the next year's FAFSA.

How do I know if I have work study (either Federal or State)?

You will receive notice on the Financial Aid Award that you have been awarded Federal or State Work Study. If you have any questions about your eligibility, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Can non-work study students still get jobs on campus?

Yes, any enrolled PLU student is eligible to apply for on-campus jobs. These on-campus jobs are positions paid by the hiring PLU department, not from Federal or State Funds. To find these jobs students may login to their student account on the Career Connections Opportunities Board.

What is the best time to start looking for a job?

Students should start looking for a job as close to the start of the semester as possible. To search for employment opportunities, students may login to their student account on the Career Connections Opportunities Board. Continue to check the Career Connections Opportunities Board regularly for new job and internship postings throughout the year.

How do I apply for a job?

Students can login to their student account on the Career Connections Opportunities Board to both search for and apply for on-campus jobs. A few days after submitting your application, contact the hiring supervisor via phone or email to make sure they know you are serious about the position for which you applied. If you are interested in a state work study job, contact the listed hiring supervisor. Make sure to be very specific about the position you are applying for and ask the hiring supervisor to explain the interviewing and hiring procedures. As with on-campus jobs, it's a good idea to check in with the hiring supervisor after a few days to make sure they know you are serious about the state work study position for which you are applying. Additionally, for off-campus state work study jobs make sure to have a resume ready to present to the hiring supervisor.

What jobs do you apply for?

Students decide which jobs to apply for through the Career Connections Opportunities Board. You may want to select jobs to apply for based on your individual personality traits, work experience, physical/mental aptitudes/skills, prior education and interests. Keep in mind some areas present more employment opportunities. For example, Dining Services has many positions available due to the size and required staff to keep operating efficiently. However, you will not find that volume of positions in the smaller departments on campus.

How do I know which positions are available?

Students can login to their student account on the Career Connections Opportunities Board and select the "Jobs/Internships Search" menu. Select "PLU Positions" from the drop-down menu to see all available on-campus jobs. You may select "State Work Study Positions" to view all available state work study jobs.

What do I do if I am offered a job? What documents do I need to complete my hire paperwork?

If you are offered an on-campus position, your first stop is the Student Employment Office in Ramstad 112. You need to visit the Student Employment Office to process your mandatory hiring paperwork. This paperwork must be done before your first day of work. You will be required to complete a Department of Homeland Security I-9 "Employment Eligibility Verification" form and a W-4 form before you begin working.  Original documentation, such as a social security card, passport or certified copy of a birth certificate, is required to complete this paperwork.  Please bring your original documents to the Student Employment Office. If you are offered a state work study position, you must pick up your State Work Study Referral Agreement Form in the Student Employment Office. The State Work Study Referral Agreement Form must be completed by your employer and returned to the Student Employment Office prior to your first day of employment.

How many hours can I work each week?

While school is in session, a student can work up to 19 hours a week in a state work study position or 20 hours in an on-campus position. In most cases, students work an average of 10-15 hours a week while taking classes. During holidays and school breaks students are allowed to work more hours, which may vary based on your award, the need of the department you are working in, or the employer. A student cannot work more than 40 hours a week.

What happens if I choose not to use my work study award?

Nothing happens other than a resource to earn money for tuition or expenses was not taken advantage of. A work-study position can help you build employment experience, employer references for the future and in some cases (state work study) permanent placement upon graduation. If you do not plan on using your work study award, please notify the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible.

Must I earn my entire work-study award?

No. You may earn some, all or none of your award while you are eligible to work. If you do not earn your entire award during this period, you may not access the remaining amount.

How do I get paid?

Wages are paid directly to you whether it is through PLU or an off-campus employer. All on-campus student workers will be paid by the Payroll Office and paychecks will be made available in the Business Office.  Students working on campus are paid once per month, on the 25th day of each month.  If you have an off-campus position, your pay periods will be set by your employer.

When will I receive my W-2?

The W-2 is an official record of the total amount of your wages for the calendar year. It also shows federal, state, and Social Security (FICA) taxes withheld. W-2 statements are mailed to each employee by January 31 of the year following the end of the tax year. It is important that the Payroll Office has the most current mailing address where you would like to have your statement mailed.

Back to Top