- Identify strengths of Tobago society.
- Study impact of gender on a variety of social issues including HIV/AIDS, parenting, employment.
- Discuss aspects of human diversity as this relates to service.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the effects of history, including colonialism, as it relates to the development and maintenance of community problems and concerns.
- Engage in thoughtful service and other learning activities.
- Articulate a personal understanding and ethic of meaningful service.
- Challenge stereotypes and myths about people.
SOCW 325: Social, Educational and Health Services Tobago (4 credits). Open to sophomore, junior and senior students. No prerequisites. Fulfills Cross Cultural Perspective requirement, department credit.
$3,895. Includes airfare, lodging, program related transportation, entrance fees and excursions, some meals. PLU reserves the right to add a surcharge in response to unanticipated price increases.
These estimated additional costs indicated below are intended to assist students and parents in budgeting for these additional living and discretionary expenses not included in the program fee. Actual expenses may vary according to student interests, individual needs, and spending habits:
- Passport (new) $110 / Passport (renewal) = $135
- Visa fees (required for some non-US passport holders ) = varies
- Pre-travel Evaluation at the PLU Health Center = $45 *All students are required to visit either the PLU Health Center or a personal health care provider to achieve the proper medical clearance. Be aware that other medical providers may charge additional fees that may result in a higher cost than the PLU Health Center.
- Immunizations = $0 to several hundred dollars **Vaccination needs vary on destination and individual medical history, and may be costly.
- Airline baggage fees = approximately $25 for each checked bag
- Books, supplies, course materials = varies
- Cost of meals not included in program fee - varies
- Cell phone & usage fees = varies
- Personal Expenses = approximately $600. Check with your faculty leader for an accurate estimate for your destination.
April 13, 2012. A non-refundable deposit of $50.00 is required with the application. A $250 non-refundable program payment to confirm your participation in the course is due within 10 days of notification of acceptance. Maximum of 18 students.
Travel immunizations recommended. See PLU Health Services website for recommendations and costs.