Wang Center for Global Education

TN classification is available to Canadian and Mexican citizens who seek to enter the U.S. on a temporary basis to work in a professional-level job under provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The individual may qualify for a TN if the position in the U.S. falls under the NAFTA professional job list.  The TN is employer-specific and the individual must possess the qualifications of the position.  The TN category is a a non-immigrant category and TN status can be given in three-year increments. 

The TN classification is generally not recommended for tenure-track positions, as the TN status is intended to be temporary.  Please allow at least one month to process TN status for Canadian workers, and additional time for Mexican workers.

Information for the Employee

Applying for TN Status:

When applying for TN Status, please bring the following documentation with you to the Port of Entry:

- Original Degree (you will receive the original back)

- Original License (if applicable)

- TN Support Letter

- Valid passport

- $50 application fee

* Canadian citizens are not required to apply for a Visa, but instead will apply for TN status at the Port of Entry, by submitting the above documents to the immigration officer. You will receive an I-94 card marked with TN status with the validity dates (up to three years) and employer name. Do not lose your I-94 card as this proves your eligibility to work in the U.S.  For more information on TN status, visit this webpage.

* Mexican citizens are required to apply for a Visa.  This can be done by requesting a change of status (if the individual currently holds another non-immigrant status in the U.S.), or by applying at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Mexico. For more information, visit the State Department's website on TN Visas.

* Please contact Allyson Lindsley if you are planning to bring a dependent(s) with you to the U.S.

Arrival at PLU

Upon arrival to campus, please check in with Human Resources & the Wang Center for Global Education with a copy of your I-94 card, passport, and Visa (if applicable).  PLU employees must have a Social Security Number.  If you do not already have a Social Security Number, you can apply for one in person or at your visa appointment. Visit the SSN Administration Office website for more information.  Please make sure to apply for your SSN before the employment start date.