Call for Proposals
PLU WANG CENTER for GLOBAL AND COMMUNITY ENGAGED EDUCATION
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
TEACHING PARTNERSHIP WITH PLU ALUMNI AND NAMIBIAN EDUCATORS:
Affirming PLU’s commitment to educational partnerships, the Wang Center for Global and Community Engaged Education in collaboration with PLU’s Alumni and Student Connections has initiated a two-year project to support collaborative opportunities with PLU Education Alumni and Namibian educators. The Ukumwe (togetherness) Pilot Fund aims to maintain established partnerships, enhance educational practices, and build collaborative exchanges among individuals, schools, and educational organizations.
PLU’s Wang Center and Alumni and Student Connections seeks proposals from interested PLU education alumni who want to re-establish or initiate connections with Namibian educators as a way of building cultural exchanges, and fostering collaboration, and collegial practices focused on improving instructional practice and student learning. Six selected participants will spend two weeks in Namibian classrooms working on school projects, interacting with teachers and learners, and participating in cultural activities. The Ukumwe Fund will cover flight, lodging, in town transportation, and provide a meal stipend for two weeks in Namibia. Fees associated with documentation, health requirements, and additional travel are not included. This visit will occur in late July 2023. In October 2023, they will be expected to host Namibian teachers in their classrooms and school, continue established projects, and participate in a Washington State excursion.
Proposals, not to exceed 500 words total, will include the following information:
- Description of previous experience in Namibia and the impact of that experience on your teaching, global awareness, and cultural competence (if relevant)
- Descriptive outline of a potential collaborative classroom or school project with you and a Namibian teacher
- Description of goals and objectives of participation in this program as it relates to teaching and professional development
- Description of how participation in this project will benefit your collaborative and collegial practices for improving instructional practices and student learning
- Letter of support from a school or district administrator
Priority consideration will be given to:
- Proposals that articulate an alignment with PLU’s vision for global education of “educating to achieve a just, healthy, sustainable and peaceful world”
- Proposals from alumni of PLU J-Term and Semester Gateway Programs in Namibia.
- Proposals from PLU alumni who were unable to participate in a study away experience in Namibia due to Covid cancellation.
- Proposals from alumni of PLU’s School of Education
- Proposals from WA State teachers
To be considered, submit proposals online by November 30, 2022. Submissions will be received and reviewed by a committee. Applicants will be notified of a decision by December 15. For further information and questions, email Dr. Jan Weiss, Ukumwe Project Coordinator, Associate Dean, Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.