Bills are pieces of legislation that the ASPLU Senate pass that involve the transferring of money. Through passing bills, we are able to collaborate with other groups on campus by providing funding. We also fund our own events and initiatives that our senators and directors organize. Some of the bills that we have passed this semester are:
- Allocate over $8,000 towards the construction of a wheelchair ramp in Stuen Hall with a projected start date of July 24th, 2018 to promote awareness of accessibility issues.
- Funding the Diversity Center J-Term Book Groups
- Funding refreshments at events like the Town Halls on Accessibility and Sustainability, FAFSA/WASFA Workshop, and the Día De Los Muertos event
- Funding for the production of “The Monologue”
- Funding hot chocolate in the ASPLU office and snack in the library during dead week.
Resolutions are pieces of legislation that either make changes that do not involve the transfer of money or to speak on the values of ASPLU. We pass resolutions in order to publicly announce our actions or initiatives we support. Some resolutions we have passed this semester are:
- The appointment of new senators to fill our senate and the appointment of students as student representatives on university and faculty committees
- The announcement of our support of the Black Lives Matter movement, and stating that we will take an active stance in learning about the movement and encouraging other PLU students and administration to do the same
- The announcement of our support of Trans, Intersex, and Gender Nonconforming communities and encouraging more resources to be made available
- Our declaration that we will set aside funding specifically for affinity groups on campus and encourage the administration to do the same
- Our approval of allowing the ASPLU office space to be used as testing rooms during finals week to support DSS