Community Alert – Car Prowl Incidents
The Parkland area is experiencing a rise in car prowls. There were 7 reported incidents in January and now 6 reports in February of car prowls on or immediately adjacent to campus.
Car prowling is a common crime where there are large concentrations of parked cars. A college campus is similar to shopping malls and apartment complexes where this activity is also common. They are difficult crimes to prevent but here are some things to consider:
- If you observe suspicious behavior from individuals please contact Campus Safety immediately. Based on previous incidents, the suspects commonly wander around parked cars looking in windows. They may be on bicycles riding around parking lots or back and forth along the street.
- Avoid leaving bags, boxes or belongings visible in your car, even if they are not valuable. A car prowler may force access to your car before determining a lack of value.
- We recommend parking in campus parking lots versus the street. The parking lots don’t guarantee your car will be safe but the extra lighting and camera coverage are helpful deterrents.
- Get a “Club” anti-theft device and/or install an alarm.
- Another preventative measure is extra vigilance from the PLU community.
Thank you for helping to keep PLU safe.
Campus Safety – 253-535-7441