Welcome to Lute Link
If this is your first time using Lute Link to contact a Career Advisor, please go through this page to find examples, etiquette, and tips on how to send e-mails. If you have any difficulty using Lute Link, please contact Tommy Skaggs, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use the Advanced Search options to pinpoint Lute Link Career Advisors that would be a good fit.
- When looking through profiles, find common linkages for conversation starters. Do they have the same major as you? Does the person work in an industry, company or position you are interested in learning more about.
- If you meet face-to-face with a Lute Link Career Advisor for an informational interview or resume critique, be sure to meet in a public place, preferably at their place of business or another public space like a coffee shop. Never meet with a Career Advisor at a private residence.
- In your initial e-mail, be sure to include information about why you are contacting them and that you found their contact information through PLU’s Lute Link database.
- If you are contacting a Lute Link Career Advisor as part of a class project, let them know what the project is and make them aware of any deadlines.
- When a Lute Link Career Advisor replies to an e-mail, make sure to respond within 24 hours.
- If you are invited for an on-site Job Shadow or meeting a Career Advisor face-to-face, be sure to dress and act professionally. Examples of professional dress for men and women can be found on the Career Connections Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/plucareer/
- If for any reason you no longer need to talk to a Lute Link Career Advisor after you receive a response, let them know as soon as possible and thank them for their time.
Example #1 (initiating a networking contact):
Dear Katie Sue,
I am a junior at PLU. In reading your Lute Link profile, I discovered that you received your degree in Psychology, which is the same major that I am pursuing. I am exploring career opportunities in Psychology. Your career path looks really exciting. Could we set up a time to talk about what it takes to be successful and what I should be doing in school to prepare for working in the Psychology industry? I would be grateful for any advice you would be willing to provide. Thank you for considering my request.
Example #2 (using Lute Link for a class assignment):
Dear Bobby Joe,
My name is Samantha and I am a Senior at Pacific Lutheran University. I am working on an assignment for my Business class that asks me to interview a leader in an industry I am interested in. I searched through the Lute Link database and found that you work for Amazon, a company I am interested learning more about. Do you have time within the next two weeks to schedule a phone call where we will cover how you got to your position? The deadline for my assignment is May 15th.