Preparing for an Interview: Congratulations, you have been selected for an interview. Here are some tips that will lead to interview success.
BEFORE THE INTERVIEW:
- Research the employer and trends in the industry.
- Prepare a well thought out and concise, 30 second commercial about yourself. Sell yourself!
- Practice answering “typical” interview questions.
- Compile specific examples that display your qualifications and characteristics that are relevant to the position.
- Be prepared to answer behavior-based interview questions.
- Complete the Interview Preparation Worksheet.
- Print extra copies of your resume to bring to the interview.
- Prepare questions to ask the interviewer.
- Behavior-based Interviews
- Common Interview Questions
- Dress professionally. Create a Professional Appearance.
- Arrive early to your interview.
- Be pleasant with everyone you speak with before, during, and after the interview.
- Speak clearly and provide concise answers.
- Use appropriate body language.
- Listen carefully to questions and ask for clarification when necessary.
- When providing examples, tell about the situation, the action, and the result.
- It is okay to pause and think before answering a question.
- Make eye contact with the interviewer(s).
- Express confidence, interest and enthusiasm.
- Ask questions! Determine the next step in the interview process.
AFTER THE INTERVIEW:
- Send a thank you note within 24 hours.
- After an appropriate amount of time, call to check on the status of the hiring process.