Student Club/Organization Handbook

Full PDF version of handbook can be found under Documents and Forms under “Resources for Clubs”

Pacific Lutheran University seeks to educate students for lives of thoughtful inquiry, service, leadership and care – for other people, their communities and for the earth.

Pacific Lutheran University has a strong commitment to diversity, social justice and sustainability rooted in our Lutheran heritage and lifted up in the planning documents of PLU 2000, 2010 and 2020. Our Lutheran tradition calls on us to see diversity, social justice and sustainability not as three separate concerns but as one crucial cause demanding our best attention and action.

Diversity, Social Justice, and Sustainability are not separate concerns, but instead interrelated ones, no one of which can be addressed without addressing the others. For what, exactly, is ‘social justice,’ and how can one begin to arrive at even provisional definitions of it, without including the perspectives of diverse individuals, diverse human communities, and without considering the flourishing of non-human animals and ecosystems? And what, exactly, is ‘diversity,’ and how can one arrive at even provisional definitions of it, without considering which forms we should justly support, and which — as potentially destructive of other communities, individuals, or environments — we should not? And what, finally, is ‘sustainability,’ and how can we arrive at even provisional definitions of it, without considering diverse perspectives on what should justly be sustained — and what not?

These principles provide the backbone for student-run clubs and organizations. Each club will intersect with these issues in different ways, however each has an equal imperative to think of the impact they can have on the PLU community and beyond in regards to creating a diverse, just, and sustainable environment at our university.

Click on each month to see the checklist.

> August

  • Complete the advisor agreement available on the Clubs and Organizations website
  • Assess the financial standing of the club, create a rough budget for the year based on available funds
  • If haven’t already re-registered your club for the academic year, submitting the appropriate form to SIL

> September

  •  Recruit new members at the Involvement Fair
  • Attend mandatory club officer training, held by Clubs and Orgs department, second week of classes
  • Plan an interesting and effective first meeting
  • Hold a meeting of officers and advisor(s) to discuss and evaluate goals for the academic year, in-person or online as possible
  • Agree on a regular meeting time and reserve a meeting space for the semester
  • Inform your advisor and the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership of meeting times
  • Set goals for the semester/year as an entire club
  • Reserve space for upcoming events
  • Begin planning events for the fall semester
  • Begin checking club email account regularly and/or creating a PLU club email account (see documents and forms on Club website for form)
  • Think about Club Awards and areas that you could nominate your group or other groups

> October

  • Develop an organizational budget for the academic year
  • Continue to keep your advisor informed
  • Be on the lookout for prospective members at events
  • Up date promotional materials
  • Look at Club Award nomination information on club website

> November and December

  • Continue regular contact with advisor
  • Begin planning events for spring semester
  • Plan end of the semester activities
  • Submit Club Award nominations

> January

  • Reserve regular meeting space for Spring semester
  • Meet if enough members present for J-term
  • Decide which events you will host during Spring semester
  • Submit Club Award nominations
  • Register for Spring Involvement Fair (held on first week of spring semester)
  • If your president is away for J-term, establish an interim contact person between your club and Clubs and Orgs Dept.

> February

  • Recruit new members
  • Evaluate goals set at the beginning of the year
  • Meet with advisor
  • Set dates for Spring semester events
  • Attend Spring Club Fair, held the first week of classes
  • Submit Club Award nominations

> March

  • Start recruiting new officers
  • Review and update constitution/bylaws
  • Continue work on spring semester goals/activities
  • Continue to update advisor on goals
  • Submit nominations for Student Organization Awards as well as Club Awards
  • Begin creating transitional documents to assist new officers in beginning their terms

> April and May

  • Register your organization for the next academic year via Clubs website
  • Elect a new president, if necessary.
  • Attend Club Awards in the middle of May
  • Hold elections and plan officer transition
  • Ensure all accounts are settled and your club is not in debt
  • Review year’s successes, accomplishments, and failures
  • Ask advisor to be involved with officer transition training
  • Recognize valuable organization members
  • Pass on club documents and transitional materials prepared by out-going officers
  • Establish summer contacts and address list
  • Ensure advisor is available to maintain advisorship in the coming academic year

> Summer

  • Stay in contact with organization members
  • Check Clubs website to ensure club description is still accurate
  • Make marketing/recruitment plans for Fall
  • Prepare handouts and table decorations for Involvement Fair

The purpose of the Student Organizations Handbook is to serve as a resource for clubs and organizations that are primarily or entirely run by student leaders. While each individual organization, club, sports team, and honor society serves the campus in a unique and valuable manner there are central policies and procedures that are universal throughout our campus. To ensure that all clubs are successful in their central mission it is important that information about organization management, event planning, and publicity be available.

Throughout this document you will find regulations, expectations, and responsibilities related to organization management as well as tips and tricks, strategies, and advice regarding event planning and publicity. We did our best to create a comprehensive document that is helpful to all student clubs and organizations, however personal interaction may be more efficient for specific questions. Please contact Student Engagement with any specific questions.

Click on each section for information about starting and maintaining your club.

> Starting a New Club

Student clubs and organizations can be formed and recognized by Student Involvement and Leadership (SIL).

A group of students wishing to form a club must:

  1. Complete a Petition for Formal Recognition
  • Available at
    • Proposed groups that have the same or substantially similar purposes as an existing recognized student club/organization generally will not be recognized;
    • Proposed groups that are formed for commercial purposes or primarily for the financial benefit of an external corporation or organization will not be recognized;
    • Proposed groups that are formed for the purpose of sponsoring a singular campus event generally will not be recognized
  • Following receipt of the Petition for Formal Recognition and preliminary approval of the group by Student Involvement and Leadership, three organizational meetings may be held for the purposes of recruiting members and drafting the constitution and by-laws.
  1. Create a Club Constitution
    • Based on the model constitution available at the same address as above, constitutions do not necessarily need to follow the model exactly, but are expected to include all sections present.
    • All honor societies must receive written approval from the department with which they are affiliated and have it submitted to Student Involvement and Leadership
  • Once a club/organization-specific constitution is submitted, Student Involvement and Leadership will review it.
  1. Obtain final approval from Student Involvement and Leadership
  2. Register your Club Online
    • Fill out the Club Registration Form found under Documents and Forms
  1. Submit an Epass Club Email Account
    • This form can be found under Documents and Forms on our website

Once these steps have been completed and approved, Student Involvement and Leadership will contact officers to schedule a training on club/ organization procedures. Student Involvement and Leadership will meet with a representative of the club/ organization to review, discuss, and answer any questions regarding policies, procedures, and expectations of the student organization.

> Annual Organization Registration

Student club/organization leaders can register their club or organization during the open registration period each spring, typically beginning in late April. Clubs and Organizations will send reminder messages when this period begins and again before the deadline.

Why Register Every Year?

  • To inform SIL that your organization is still active on campus and to remain eligible for all the benefits and privileges of being a student club/organization.
  • To provide SIL with accurate club meeting times and contact information for at least three  members of your club/organization. This information is used to refer interested students to the club/organization, to inform student club/organization members about services and opportunities offered by SIL, and to maintain open communication between SIL and leaders of student club/organizations.

> Responsibilities of Student Organizations

The officers and members of student clubs/organizations are responsible for conducting their activities in accordance with the rules of the university, Student Code of Conduct, as well as with the purposes and procedures stated in their approved constitution.

  1. The officers and members are responsible for observing all laws and regulations governing the various activities of the group. The university does not authorize, protect, defend, or assume responsibility for violations of public or private rights by students or student groups. Regardless of any civil or criminal action which may be taken against students or student groups by reason of irresponsible conduct, such conduct, on or off campus, may subject the student or group to university disciplinary proceedings. Student club/organization members and officers should be aware that the organization and officers may be held responsible for injury or loss to others arising from their operations and activities. Therefore, officers and members should consider whether they need liability insurance to protect the organization, its members, or officers. Clubs/Organizations should check with national chapters and their associations to see if plans are available to them.
  2. The officers and members are responsible for registering the club/organization annually and maintaining their good standing as an officially recognized PLU student club/organization by completing the registration process on the Clubs website every spring and following all applicable rules, regulations, and procedures. It is required that student clubs/organizations maintain at least 10 active members in order to ensure the continuity of the group. Club/Organization presidents and treasurers are required to attend training each Fall.
  3. The officers and members are responsible for informing Student Involvement and Leadership of any changes in officers and/or a change in advisor. NOTE: Failing to register for two consecutive academic years will result in withdrawal of recognition and the organization will be required to resubmit a Petition for Formal Recognition and a constitution to Student Involvement and Leadership for approval.
  4. The officers and members are responsible for submitting a constitution to Student Involvement and Leadership every two (2) years for review and revision. Constitutions must include all information required by the Model Constitution provided by SIL. Any changes in a student clubs/organization’s constitution are to be authorized by SIL.

Only officially recognized and currently registered student clubs/organizations are authorized to use university facilities or services, or permitted to identify themselves directly or indirectly with the university’s name or credit. Note that this regulation is not intended as a restriction upon the right of students to organize, but it is necessary in order to protect the proprietary name, credit, and facilities of the university. Student clubs/organizations do not officially represent the university but are considered independent entities that are eligible for benefits and privileges of recognition.

In some instances, Student Involvement and Leadership may deem it necessary to review a club/organization’s recognized status, operations, and procedures. Under such conditions, SIL reserves the right to remove a clubs/ organization’s recognized status with the University. PLU reserves the right to take any action it deems appropriate with respect to any actions or activities undertaken by any student club/organization.

In conjunction with the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities, Student Involvement and Leadership will work to hold clubs and organizations accountable if expectations are not being met. In order to be transparent with the procedures laid out in our Student Code of Conduct, the following steps may be taken if an incident report is submitted.

  • Students are able to report an incident via the online Incident Report Form, found under the Documents and Forms link on the Clubs Website.
  • Incident Reports will be submitted to Ian Jamieson, Director of Student Involvement and Leadership.
  • The club/organization will receive a letter from the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership notifying them of the infraction and the date, time, location for a review meeting with Ian Jamieson.
    • Depending on the level of severity, the Director of SIL and/or individuals from the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities may be a part of this meeting as well.
  • During this meeting, the club/organization will have the opportunity to share their view of the information presented to them regarding the infraction. In addition, a restatement of expectations for the club/organization will be discussed including next steps for the club/organization and what the next level might look like should something happen again.
    • Possible outcomes from a meeting may include:
      • Club/Organization receives a Warning
      • Club/Organization is placed on Probation
      • Club/Organization receives Loss of privileges
      • Club/Organization is removed from Campus temporarily
      • Club/Organization is removed from Campus permanently

There are various levels of student group accountability, each with corresponding minimum action. Each level provides the ability to connect with SIL to proactively support the group and limit further inappropriate actions.

> Benefits and Privileges of Student Clubs and Organizations

The following are some of the benefits and privileges that are extended to each PLU student club/organization upon its official recognition by the university. A club/organization’s failure to maintain recognition through annual registration may result in suspension of any or all of these benefits and privileges.

  • To reserve campus facilities and outdoor spaces up to one calendar year in advance of the event date.
  • To be included in the directory of officially recognized student clubs/organizations found on the Clubs website
  • To post authorized publicity in approved posting areas, including Impact boards as well as the use of cork board and posting space in the AUC.
  • To reserve and use space in the AUC for “tabling” during the day and at nights, as scheduled through Conferences and Events – To use “PLU” as part of the organization name (The Pacific Lutheran University name may be used only for purposes generally consistent with the organization’s purpose and only to identify affiliation as a student organization)
  • To request the creation of and utilize a FOAP (Fund Organization Account Program) account for the purpose of spending and saving funds as a club
  • To apply for and receive funding from SAB Appropriations and/or the Student Life Council
  • To have mail delivered to Student Involvement and Leadership
  • To participate in the Involvement Fairs and to attend any other club-related fairs throughout the academic year
  • To have an advisor that is a PLU faculty or staff member to help guide, provide mentorship and act as a sounding board
  • To receive help, advice, and assistance from the staff of Student Involvement and Leadership
  • To link a club’s Facebook page with the PLU web site
  • To have an active PLU club’s email account

> Hazing Policy

It is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct for a student or student organization to participate in hazing or harassment which includes any act of initiation (committed by a person, whether individually or in concert with others) into a student organization, athletic team or living group, or any pastime or amusement engaged in with respect to that organization or group with or without the consent of the participant(s), which:

  1. Causes, or is likely to cause, bodily danger or physical harm, or serious mental, emotional or psychological harm to any student or other person; or
  2. May abuse, mistreat, degrade, humiliate, harass, ridicule, intimidate or endanger him or her, or which may in any fashion compromise his or her inherent dignity as a person; or
  3. Subjects a student or other person to conduct or conditions which a reasonable person in the circumstances would find harmful, including but not limited to
    • excessive mental or physical discomfort
    • alcohol or drug abuse
    • physical confinement
    • abandonment
    • verbal or physical abuse, or
    • substantial interference with the person’s educational pursuits; or

Otherwise involves a violation of a law or University policy or which encourages a student or other person to violate a law or University policy, including but not limited to the “Student Code of Conduct”, “Alcohol and Drug Policy”, and “Sexual Harassment Policy”.

> Eligibility for Club/Organization Members

All students are eligible for membership in any student club/organization in accordance with the standards, academic or otherwise, established by each organization. Any student club/organization which selects its membership or officers upon the basis of restrictive clauses dealing with race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law will be considered to be operating in conflict with university policy.

Any faculty, staff, or administrator may be an associate member of any student organization, but may not hold office or vote. The authority and responsibility for ensuring that general members comply with grade requirements for club and organization members shall reside with the officers and advisors of that organization.

> Club/Organization Advisors

Each recognized student organization is required to have an advisor who is a full-time member of the university faculty or staff. If a group does not have an advisor, Student Involvement and Leadership can assist the group in finding one.

Functions of an Advisor:

  • An advisor assists the organization to function in accordance with its stated purposes and is familiar with the events and activities sponsored by the organization.
  • An advisor provides advice and counsel by sharing expertise, insights and ideas, and making recommendations when appropriate.
  • An advisor assists in the development of leadership skills among members.
  • An advisor gives counsel on financial and administrative matters relating to the organization.
  • An advisor helps prevent any violations of university, community, or state regulations.
  • An advisor may assist in communication between the club and the University
  • An advisor is recommended to periodically attend club meetings
  • An advisor should monitor club travel

> The Clubhouse

The Clubhouse, which now shares a space with SAB, is located in AUC 140, and is a resource to all student clubs/organizations. This is also where you can find the Clubs and Organizations Interns, whose office hours will be listed on the door. Resources: Butcher Paper for making large signs and banners, Die-Cut Machine for cutting letters for butcher paper signs, Supplies including  paint, construction paper, stencils, etc, Storage lockers available to a limited number of clubs ever year. Print/work station including Adobe Photoshop, MS Paint, etc. The Clubhouse is open from 8am-5pm to all students. Club presidents will be given swipe access to the Clubhouse, which will extend from 7:00am to 12:00 am.

> Acquiring Storage Space

Student Involvement and Leadership has a limited number of storage lockers available for student club/organization use. Clubs/Organizations interested in having a storage locker can apply each year for the use of these facilities. Priority will be given to clubs that currently occupy locker space, however, they must fill out the Google Form stating they would like to keep their locker. Space not kept will be allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Student Involvement and Leadership reserves the right to make a decision for locker space and usage based on greatest need. Applications for storage space are included on the annual club/organization registration form. Space if available from August until May with limited summer storage opportunities. Clubs/Organizations assigned a storage space are welcome to move into their new space at the beginning of the fall semester.

Any faculty, staff, or administrator may be an associate member of any student organization, but may not hold office or vote. The authority and responsibility for ensuring that general members comply with grade requirements for club and organization members shall reside with the officers and advisors of that organization.

> Requirements for Officers

The officers of all student clubs/organizations must be in good standing (not on academic or disciplinary probation) at the time of their election or appointment and throughout their terms of office.

Student clubs/organizations that have additional requirements aside from good academic standing (for example, honor societies) are responsible for ensuring that officers comply with grade requirements for club and organization officers (president, vice president, treasurer, secretary, etc.). This authority and responsibility shall reside with the officers of that club/organization in conjunction with their advisor. In instances of dispute, the decision-making authority and responsibility rests with Student Involvement and Leadership.

Student clubs/organizations are responsible for signing up for a PLU club email account. This form can be found on the Clubs webpage under Documents and Forms > Resources for Clubs – “Request Epass Account for Club/Organization”. This email account will serve as the main source of communication between the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership and a student club/organization. By creating a club/organization PLU email account a club/organization is also creating a shared space that will allow for information to be saved year to year as officers turnover.

In order to enhance the quality of campus life for PLU students and their guests, student clubs/organizations are encouraged to sponsor a wide range of programs that are socially, recreationally, educationally and culturally diverse. While these programs are generally provided for the members of the campus community, others may be invited to participate in university activities in an effort to improve the campus environment for PLU students.

On the occasion when admission fees are charged for a campus event, the funds raised should be used to defray the costs of the event and support the sponsoring organization’s activities, and must be collected according to university fund-raising policies administered by Student Involvement and Leadership. The primary purpose for charging admission fees for events should not be for financial gain or profit. Please work with Campus Concierge to help organize your admission fee collection.

> Event Planning Form

The Event Planning Form is required for all club/organization activities including club events, club meetings, etc. This form allows SIL to maintain a working knowledge of what events are happening on campus and ensures that clubs are made aware of any additional requirements necessary to sponsor this event. If you are unsure whether or not to submit an Event Planning Form, we advise submitting one just-in-case to ensure SIL knows of your event.

The following events require the completion of the Event Planning Form:

  • Any event open to the general PLU community
  • Any event that includes fundraising, including tabling in the AUC
  • Club meetings that include a speaker that is not a part of the PLU community
  • Any off-campus travel for any length of time
  • UC tabling that will involve fundraising.*

*You do not need an Event Planning form if you are tabling but NOT fundraising.

> Days and Hours of Student Activities

The days and hours of student activities directly pertain to the availability of space on campus (e.g., AUC room, facilities, classrooms, and grounds). Rooms within the Anderson University Center are available on a first-come, first-serve basis via Hospitality Services. Other spaces around campus are also available for reservation; however, such spaces may require special permissions based on other departments. For example, the CAVE can be reserved through Hospitality Services; however, the Student Activities Board (SAB) will have final authority and ownership over the space. Hospitality Services can assist you in contacting appropriate individuals to reserve spaces throughout campus. All activities on campus must conform to the regular closing hours of the building or area. If necessary, permission for use of a building or room or area outside of its regularly scheduled hours may be arranged for a special event through Hospitality Services in conjunction with Campus Safety. In such cases, Hospitality Services will make proper arrangements with both the club/organization sponsoring the event and the particular department of the university that is responsible for the use of the building. Additional charges may be incurred by the club/organization in order to use facilities beyond posted hours.

During final examinations, group activities are not encouraged, however, they are not expressly prohibited. Stress-management or mitigation events are well suited to occur during this timeframe and may be held only under the following provisions:

  • Activities may be held only on campus
  • No activities may be held in residence halls

> Conferences and Events Reservation Procedure

  • Space and room reservations of any campus facilities will be accepted from recognized and approved student clubs/organizations up to one year prior to the event date. You cannot hold tentative space until you have been recognized and approved for the upcoming year. All reservations remain tentative, and, therefore, subject to cancellation, until necessary approvals are obtained and complete setup information is provided.
  • Reservations can be made using 25Live, accessed by going to and signing in with your e-pass. When making a reservation in 25Live and posting to the PLU calendar, it is extremely helpful and important to add an event description (a brief summary of the event) into your request in order to approve requests and to help promote your event to the appropriate audiences. Stipulations have been put into place by Hospitality Services to ensure proper time is scheduled for event planning requests:
  •  Club/Organization meetings: 3 business days before use
  •  Minor events, typically less than 30 attendees: 1 month prior to event
  • Major events, typically 100+ attendees, requiring multiple locations: 6 months prior to event
  •  Food service required: Two weeks before use
  •  Technical equipment or personnel required: 15 working days before use – Security personnel required: 10 working days before use, must contact Campus Safety. There is a cost associated with having extra security at an event
  • Space requests submitted through 25 Live will require approval by Hospitality Services, Student Involvement and Leadership, and any applicable owners of a particular space. Hospitality Services approval relates specifically to space availability and suitability for event type. Student Involvement and Leadership will not approve space requests until an Event Planning Form has been submitted for an event.
  • Specific space and room assignments shall be made at the discretion of Hospitality Services, who reserves the right to make changes to a reservation, such as a room adjustment, to accommodate the greatest number of organizations. Notice will be provided to sponsors and their guests.
  • The sponsoring group agrees to cancel reservations when possible if plans are changed so that the space will be available for other groups. Repeated cancellations or no-show scenarios may result in disciplinary action for a club/organization.

> Policies and Procedures for the Distribution of Literature, the Sponsorship of Visiting Speakers and Public Performances, and the Screening of Films

As an institution founded on the tenants of Lutheran Higher Education, the University encourages its student organizations to contribute to the role of the University as a forum for intellectual discussion, diversity of thought, debate, investigation, and/or artistic expression.

The university has final discretion in decisions regarding the distribution of literature, the sponsorship of visiting speakers and public performances, and the screening of films that utilize university facilities or resources. In keeping with the intellectual imperative of the university and the instructive value of dialogue, educational or artistic merit and inclusion of multiple perspectives will be the normative bases for decisions. The use of the university as a forum, however, in no way implies university approval or endorsement of the views expressed by material distributed, by a speaker, in a public performance, in a film, or through other communication mediums.

Distribution of Non-Academic Literature

The university provides for the distribution of literature created by outside organizations. This includes pamphlets, papers, and stickers provided by a non-PLU organization that will be distributed by members of a PLU student group. The following guidelines apply:

  • Only members of a registered student club/organization may distribute literature
  • The literature shall clearly identify the student club/organization responsible for the literature
  • In order to gain approval, the following information must be provided to the Student Involvement and Leadership no less than five (5) working days in advance of the planned distribution:
    • Copy of the material(s) to be distributed
    • Proposed facilities to be used for distribution
    • The time(s) and date(s) of distribution
    • The manner of distribution
  • The material must be distributed according to all other university policies, including the policy on solicitation as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct

Speakers, Films, Concerts, and Other Public Performances

Visiting speakers, films, videotapes, concerts, comedians, and other public performances must be registered and approved by Student Involvement and Leadership by filling out an Event Planning Form at least 4 weeks prior to the date requested for the event. The Event Planning Form is available on the Clubs website. When hosting a speaker on campus, student organizations must provide a brief description of the topic that will be covered by the speaker. All films require a catalog summary that includes the company name through which the film is being obtained.

DVD/Video Copyright Law Guidelines

In light of the availability of feature-length films on DVD and streaming websites and the proliferation of DVD players and laptops, student groups are advised to be aware that federal copyright laws restrict the use of films (including digital versions such as DVD, Blu-Ray, or streaming media) to private showings and prohibit their public performance without prior written consent of the holder of the copyright. All films require the company name through which the film is being obtained. DVDs that qualify for public showings are covered by the above policy for speakers, films, concerts and other public performances.

FBI Warning for Public Showing

The FBI Warning at the beginning of a video says, “Federal law provides severe civil and criminal penalties for unauthorized reproduction, distribution or exhibition of copyrighted motion pictures.” This text appears on movies released for home use and is based in copyright law. In essence, the FBI warning is saying that you can’t show the video outside your home. Nearly all of the movies you borrow from the Library, rent or buy are intended for home use and cannot be shown in a public setting.

Many student groups think, “Our event’s free, so we should be able to just show the video.” The issue is not whether you charge admission, but whether you show the video in a public setting. The definition of a public showing of a movie, according to copyright law, is to “display it at a place open to the public or at any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered.” Advertising your event or holding it in an open space like the Ingram or the Cave would constitute a public showing.

Obtain Permission to Show a Movie

It is fairly simple to obtain permission to show a popular, mainstream movie, but make sure you do it early in your planning process. It takes times and, in most cases, money. The price for showing a movie can be up to $100 or more, depending on the size of the group and the movie popularity. For rare or international films, the process can be complicated because the copyright holder may not be immediately apparent.

Contact the movie distributor and obtain permission to show the film. Many titles are available from the sources like SWAN Motion Pictures Inc., Copyright Clearance Center, Criterion Pictures USA, Kino International, and New Yorker Films. When you contact the distributor, be prepared to provide the following information: name and contact of your organization, where and to whom you will show the film, how your organization will pay for the rights to show the movie, whether or not you need a copy of the film.

If your club cannot cover the cost to obtain permission to show a film, consider going to the ASPLU Appropriations Board and apply for funds.

Films with Public Performance Rights

PLU Library owns a small number of films that were purchased with Public Performance Rights, which can be shown to the public as long as you do not charge admission. Often those films are documentaries purchased from independent distributors and have not had a major release in movie theaters. Although many of these films are excellent, you may have never heard of them.

> Sponsorship of Religious Activities

In addition to policies and procedures for Sponsorship of Visiting Speakers and Public Performances and for Distribution of Literature, student clubs/organizations are expected to adhere to all rules and regulations established by PLU’s Campus Ministry Office.

All registered student club/organization events must be congruent with the policies, objectives, and mission of the University. It is expected that events will be registered using the regular time line and Event Planning Form in place for all student organization events. Religious activities sponsored by student clubs/organizations that should be registered include but are not limited to: worship or religious services, Bible studies, witness talks, spiritual retreats, and other off campus activities. The university has final discretion in decisions regarding the sponsorship of religious activities. When these decisions involve student clubs/organizations they are made by the Student Involvement and Leadership in consultation with Campus Ministry and other University officials as appropriate.

> Sponsorship of Non-University Political Activities

In addition to policies and procedures for Sponsorship of Visiting Speakers and Public Performances and for Distribution of Literature, the following guidelines have been created to regulate the presentation of political candidates and campaigns as well as elected or appointed government officials. The goal is to allow for sponsorship of these speakers and activities by a recognized student organization while protecting the interests of the sponsoring group and the university.

It is expected that events will be registered and approved using the regular time line and Event Planning Form in place for all student club/organization events.

> Sponsorship of State and Local Initiatives and Referenda

This policy outlines the regulations of Pacific Lutheran University, its faculty, staff, and students, including student clubs/organizations, must follow in regard to political campaigns and candidates. The first section summarizes guidelines provided by the American Council on Education (ACE). The second section outlines requirements for rental contracts with a political campaign or candidate (or their designees), and the third section outlines requirements for student organizations wishing to sponsor political campaign or candidate events.

Section I: American Council on Education Guidelines

The American Council on Education (ACE) recently released guidelines on permitted and prohibited political campaign-related activities on college and university campuses. Members of the Pacific Lutheran University community are expected to follow the ACE guidelines, as well as applicable law, when engaging in activities related to political campaigns or candidates. The ACE guidelines review a number of important activities, including:

A. Voter Education.

Universities are permitted to conduct voter education activities as long as they are carried out in a non-partisan manner. Permitted activities include non-partisan voter registration activities, circulation of questionnaires to candidates for an office (provided the questionnaires cover a broad range of subjects and do not express an editorial opinion), and training programs designed to increase understanding of the electoral process or to encourage students, faculty and staff to become involved in the process.

  • Candidate appearances. Universities may invite political candidates to speak at events or public forums as long as all candidates are provided equal access and opportunities to speak. Universities are prohibited from institutionally endorsing a particular candidate at these events. In addition, campaign fundraising at university events and forums is prohibited. Individuals also may be invited to speak for reasons other than their candidacy, such as a classroom lecture or non-political university event, but they may not campaign or refer to an election. (For further detail, see Sections II and III below.)
  • Use of institutional resources. Acceptable uses of university resources include establishing genuine curricular activities; adjusting the academic calendar to allow students to participate in the political process (if it does not favor a campaign or issue); and allowing recognized/chartered student groups to use institutional facilities for partisan political purposes (provided the student groups follow all rules and regulations as described in Section III below). Internal communications may be utilized to alert the Pacific Lutheran University community to events sponsored by student groups or rentals that are taking place on PLU’s property. Such communications must clearly list the sponsoring organization and must state the university does not endorse any political candidates.
  • Participation in the electoral process by faculty, staff, and students. Curricular activities aimed at educating students with respect to the political process (e.g. allowing students as part of a class to participate in political campaign activities) are permitted as long as the university does not influence particular student choices. In general, members of the university community are entitled to participate in the election process, provided they do not speak or act in the name of the institution and do not use Pacific Lutheran University resources.

The ACE guidelines, as well as Pacific Lutheran University’s policies and procedures, are based on IRS rulings under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and the Federal Election Campaign Act. The penalties associated with improper political activity by a college or university can be significant, and can include loss of the institution’s tax-exempt status and state or federal lawsuits, audits, or investigations.

Section II: Groups or Campaigns Wishing to Rent Campus Spaces

During a political season, campaign offices or other supporters may wish to rent space on the university’s campus to hold rallies, speeches, fundraisers, or other events. Any such rentals are subject to the same rules, regulations, policies, procedures and fees associated with any other contractual rental. No non-standard discounts or special privileges may be granted to political campaigns or candidates who rent Pacific Lutheran University space.

In addition to ensuring that the terms of the rental are consistent with PLU’s standard practice, the Director of Risk Management and Insurance shall determine if a political rental will be accepted, under the following conditions:

  • No political test or affiliation will be required; all parties and views will be given equal access to rent space.
  • Candidates themselves must be present at the event; the university will not rent to events featuring surrogates.
  • Appropriate preparation time is available; this will change based on the current activity on the campus and will be determined by the Vice President for Student Life and the Assistant Director of Conference and Event Services.

In addition, political events must also follow these guidelines:

  • Any announcement or advertisement of the appearance must bear the name of the sponsoring organization, and must clearly indicate that: (1) the university does not support or oppose candidates for public office; and (2) the opinions expressed at the appearance are not those of the university.
  • Admission to speaker appearances must be open to all members of the PLU community. Admission may not be restricted in any way due to the attendees’ political affiliations or views.
  • Candidates’ appearances on campus will be limited to the designated speaking/meeting site. Door-to-door or office-to-office campaigning or solicitation by the candidates is not permitted, except as provided in Section IV below.
  • The university may permit the presence of news media personnel during the appearance, but only if media access is permitted in a politically neutral manner. Media coverage and management must be 16 coordinated with the Vice President of Marketing and Communications, and an appropriate fee for the director’s time will be charged to the renting organization.
  • If additional assistance from PLU departments I needed, such as security, facilities, or technology staff, an appropriate fee for hours devoted to event preparation and staffing will be charged.

Section III: Student Groups Wishing to Sponsor Candidates or Speakers

Pacific Lutheran University is committed to fostering an open and civil exchange of a diverse array of ideas, opinions, and viewpoints. To that end, the university welcomes and encourages student organizations to sponsor speakers who advocate varying ideas, opinions, and viewpoints, including candidates seeking election to public office.

However, as a tax-exempt entity under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, the university is prohibited from participating in or intervening in any political campaign on behalf of any candidate for public office. Therefore, to ensure that activities of members of the university do not jeopardize the university’s tax exempt status, all student organizations sponsoring an appearance on the PLU campus by political candidates, representatives of candidates, or representatives of political parties or political action committees must comply with, and must advise all speakers and their staffs of, the following guidelines:

Requests for space reservations and usage must comply with the requirements as set by Conference and Event Services

  • Candidates’ appearances on campus will be limited to the designated speaking/meeting site. Door-to-door or office-to-office campaigning or solicitation by the candidates is not permitted, except as provided in Section IV below.
  • Any appearance by a candidate for public office, or any person affiliated with, or speaking on behalf of, a candidate for public office, must be sponsored by a recognized university organization, except under contracts as rental or if the appearance is in a non-candidate capacity. (See above.) All sponsoring organizations must obtain a space reservation from the Conference and Event Services Office before the appearance. Organizations not affiliated with the university are not eligible to use university space to host partisan political activities, except under contract as a rental. (See above.)
  • The university may not indicate any support of, or opposition to, any candidate for public office, nor may it promote such advocacy by others. No person or organization may use the university’s name, letterhead, logo, or seal for such purposes, or to solicit funds for, or otherwise support or oppose, any such campaign.
  • The speaker’s appearance may be a speech or question and answer session, organized in an academic environment, such as a lecture hall, classroom, or campus building. It shall not be conducted as a campaign rally or similar event. Rallies for candidates must be set up as rentals (see above) due to the additional costs and staff time incurred.
  • Any announcement or advertisement of the appearance must bear the name of the sponsoring organization, and must clearly indicate that: (1) the university does not support or oppose candidates for public office; and (2) the opinions expressed at the appearance are not those of the university.
  • The sponsoring organization must make it clear during the introduction of the speaker that the speaker was invited by the organization – not by Pacific Lutheran University – and that PLU does not endorse or support any political candidates.
  • Admission to speaker appearances must be open to all members of the Pacific Lutheran University community; the sponsoring student organization may choose whether to also admit the general public. Admission may not be restricted in any way due to the attendees’ political affiliations or views. No person or organization that is unaffiliated with the university, including the speaker, campaign staff, or any other organization, may exercise any control over admission to the event.
  • There shall not be any fundraising done by anyone during, or in connection with, the appearance. The sponsoring group must inform the speaker and the speaker’s campaign or organization of this requirement.
  • The university may permit the presence of news media personnel during the appearance, but only if media access is permitted in a politically neutral manner. The speaker, campaign staff, or any other organization or person not affiliated with Pacific Lutheran University may not direct or control media coverage of the event. Any student organization that seeks or anticipates media coverage of the event is responsible to contact the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership and the Division of Marketing and Communications.
  • No university property or resources, including, without limitation, mailing lists and mail distribution services, duplicating and photocopying services, and communications infrastructure, may be used to support or oppose any candidate, political party, or political action committee.
  • Speakers and sponsoring groups must comply with any special restrictions or requirements that may apply to certain facilities. Please contact Conference and Event Services.

To eliminate any appearance of sponsorship by the university, any services or expenses associated with the event that are not typically covered by the university will be billed to the sponsoring organization.

> Policies and Procedures for Working with Minors

In addition to the general requirements for registering student organization activities, some student organization activities involving minors (those under the age of eighteen) will be subject to additional requirements.

It is expected that all activities including minors will be registered and approved using the Event Planning Form in place for all student organization activities. These events must be registered at least sixty days prior to the first scheduled activity. Organizations must indicate on the Event Planning Form if minors, who are non-PLU students, will be physically present and participating. If minors are physically present and participating in activities (1) on the PLU campus, or (2) in activities that are under the authority or direction of the student organization (regardless of location), the organization will need to complete a number of additional steps as outlined below. Events/activities will be reviewed and approved by Student Involvement and Leadership and the Director of Risk Management and Insurance. Events/activities will not be approved and individuals are not permitted to participate in activities that involve direct interaction with minors until background checks have been conducted and required training is completed.

Background Check

A background check will be required of each PLU University student participant prior to his or his direct participation with minors in a program or activity. It is the responsibility of the student organization member coordinating the activity to assure that each participating PLU University student participant has submitted the required background check request form and has subsequently received clearance to participate.

 The club or organization leader must provide a list of students planning to participate in the scheduled activity. The list must include the following information:

  • Student Name
  • Student PLU ID
  • Student PLU email
  • State of Residence

Students who have resided in Washington State for the last 5 years will need to complete the Background Check Waiver Form and Disclosure Form and submit to the Program Coordinator, Student Involvement and Leadership (Kat Slaby) no later than four (4) weeks prior to the event. Students who have resided outside of Washington State will receive an email from the Student Employment Office with instructions and a link to submit an electronic waiver and disclosure form.

While there is currently no charge for Washington State residents, the cost for out of state background checks can range from $29-$100+. The student club or organization will be responsible for any fees.


Each PLU University student participant who will be interacting with minors in such a program or activity must review and become familiar with the “Reporting Abuse or Neglect of a Child” section of the PLU Human Resources Policies ( Any suspected abuse must be reported to the Associate Vice President of Human Resources.

> Contracting Performers

It is not uncommon for PLU to enter into contractual agreements with performers, musicians, speakers, and the like. Students are not authorized to sign contracts on behalf of University student clubs and organizations. Please work with the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership. When negotiating contracts with these groups, be sure to keep in mind the following:

  • Make sure all the business terms (for example, monetary) are spelled out clearly
  • Make sure both parties’ responsibilities are spelled out clearly
  • Make certain you are able to do everything for which you are responsible
  • Make sure there are no terms included which you do not understand – ask questions!
  • Make sure both parties’ obligations are fair (for example, both parties are required to carry insurance, not just one)
  • Make sure ALL important terms are contained within the contract (not in a verbal agreement). If the other party fails to include all verbal terms in a written contract, walk away!
  • In the state of Washington, verbal agreements made over the phone or in other correspondence may still be legally binding. Ensure all communication are as clear as possible and avoid making statement that are based on speculation (i.e. “I think we can offer $10,000”)
  • Any visiting performer and their guests must adhere to all PLU policies while they are on campus, particularly related to alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs
  • Individuals coming to campus must submit a W-9 if they are receiving payment. This form can be found in our documents and forms section.
  • If an individual is from PLU, they must be hired through the Career Connections Board in order to receive payment
  • You may not pay anyone in cash

Contracts can be confusing, but as with everything, Student Involvement and Leadership is here to help. Contracts must be submitted to the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership for review. Student Involvement and Leadership will work in collaboration with the Office of Finance and Administration and other University Officials as appropriate in accordance with PLU’s Contract Guidelines. If you have questions about contracts, please don’t hesitate to stop in or call (253) 535-7195.

> Dances

At PLU, dances sponsored by student clubs/organizations are social activities primarily for PLU students and guest(s). In order to hold a dance, the sponsoring club/organization must register the event with SIL using the Event Planning Form.

Special regulations for dances:

  • Minors, who are non-PLU students, are not allowed at any PLU-sponsored dance
  • If alcohol will be served:
    • Individuals that are of legal drinking age must be clearly identified by a bracelet or other form of identification
    • At least four alcohol enforcement agents, as provided by StaffPro or similar agency, are required at any dance where alcohol is served. These officers are in addition to Campus Safety officers, as recommended by the Director of Student Involvement and Leadership

> Event Admission Policies

Free Concerts (Includes musical performances, comedy or variety shows, etc., except concerts and events sponsored by the Music Department. NOTE: some events sponsored by the Music Department are free, but tickets are still required; ex. PLUtonic and HERmonic concerts)

  • PLU community members must present valid PLU IDs
  • PLU community members may each bring up to three guests who are at least 18 years of age and who provide valid photo IDs
  • Non-PLU guests must provide valid ID with a proof of being 18 years of age or older and may bring one guest who is at least 18 years of age and must provide a valid photo ID
  • PLU alumni and invited guests of the university may also attend

Events with Tickets Sold at the Door

(Except concerts sponsored by the PLU School of Arts and Communication)

  • PLU community members must present valid PLU IDs
  • PLU community members may bring up to three guests who are at least 18 years of age and who provide valid photo IDs
  • Others who are at least 18 years of age may enter with valid photo IDs

> Other Conditions Relative to Entry at Events

  • All programs must take place in an atmosphere that assures the safety of all participants and other members of the campus community as well as the security of university property. Appropriate levels of security will be determined by Campus Safety, in consultation with Conferences and Events, Student Involvement and Leadership, and the sponsoring organization.
  • Events held on Sunday through Thursday will end no later than 11:45 p.m. Events beginning on Fridays and Saturdays will end no later than 2:00 a.m., and all participants must exit the event by 2:15 a.m.
  • Entrance to events will be prohibited to persons appearing intoxicated or otherwise under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Attendees who have been asked to leave may not reenter the event.
  • Events will be managed by the sponsoring organizations with the assistance of one or more of the following individuals, as decided by Student Involvement and Leadership, Campus Safety Officers, SIL personnel, or club advisor.
  • Failure to meet these guidelines during the planning process or actual program could lead to the cancellation of the reservation or the event. Please consult with Conferences and Events in reference to specific timelines for planning various events.

> Guidelines Student Organization Ticket Sales

Ticket sales are facilitated through the Concierge Desk. All related policies and procedures can be found at

> Hosting Events that Include Alcohol

No alcohol can be served or consumed at any on campus event unless an approved “Application for Campus Event with Alcohol” is on file with Conferences and Events and PLU Catering is providing food and non alcoholic beverages for the event and alcohol and service of alcohol are contracted with 208 Garfield. The application can be found on PLU Catering’s website at:

> Hosting Events with Food

For bake sales, cookouts, special dinners, and other events with food, it is important that the health and safety of all participants is ensured. While handling food at your event, you must follow the guidelines outlined in this section. The information in this section has been taken directly from PLU’s Catering website. Due to Health Department regulations and University policy, food and beverage consumed on PLU premises must be provided by Pacific Lutheran University Catering. There are a limited number of circumstances in which food does not have to be provided by Pacific Lutheran University Catering. These are outlined below:

For a complete and detailed list of all of this information, as well as appropriate forms and documents needed for approval, you can go to PLU’s Catering website:

Bake Sales

Clubs or organizations wishing to hold bake sales must submit a “Notification of Bake Sale Form” to PLU Catering at least two weeks in advance of the sale. This form can be found here.

One avenue for club fundraising does include bake sales. If a club or organization is holding a bake sale, the items must be prepared and individually wrapped in a sanitary manner. A clearly visible sign at the point of sale must read, “Food was prepared at a kitchen that is not inspected by the Health Department.” There is downloadable signage that can also be found on the above website.

Concession Sales

Concession sales are only allowed on the PLU campus if they fall into one of these categories:

  1. 1Operated by Dining & Culinary Services
  2. Operated by Department of Athletics (Olson Auditorium Concession Stand)

These two categories must comply with the Tacoma Pierce County Health Department regulations and have a current copy of the TPCHD permit or courtesy letter on file with Dining and Culinary Services. This courtesy application and further details can be found on PLU’s Catering website at the web address above.


Potlucks and small group gatherings with user supplied food are acceptable in the following situations:

  • Student organization, office and department functions for students, staff administrators, and faculty of Pacific Lutheran University.
  • These events must be private and may not be advertised or open to the general public and may not include participation from members outside of the PLU community.
  • These events may not be located in spaces that can be reserved through R25, the campus scheduling system, i.e. must be held in departmental offices or suites.
  • These events must be for groups of less than 25 attendees.
  • Recycling and waste from these events must be removed from the event space at the end of the event by the event planner/sponsoring club/organization/department.
  • A clearly visible sign must read, “Food was prepared at a kitchen that is not inspected by the Health Department” (This form can be found on PLU Catering’s website).
  • Alcohol may not be served at these events.

BBQ and Self-Catered Events

Student clubs and organizations that choose to cater and serve their own private event must fill out a “Request for Self-Catered Event” at least two weeks prior to the event. This form can be found at . All parties must comply with the following policies for their safety and the safety of their guests. If you have any questions about the requirements of compliance, please contact the Catering office prior to planning your food event. These policies are mandatory. If you do not think you will be able to comply with these policies at your food event, then you must have your event catered by PLU Catering.

Food Safety Policy

It is the responsibility of the club or organization that runs the event to ensure that PLU students and the community at large are provided with a safe eating environment, and are protected from foodborne illness.

  1. A metal stem or digital thermometer must be on site. Perishable foods must be refrigerated below 41°F or hot held above 135°F. All raw meats must be cooked to the required temperature. Refer to the food worker card manual for more information (This can be found on PLU Catering’s website).
  2. A hand washing station must be on site. At least five gallons of potable water in a container with a spigot (separate from that used for utensil washing) from which clean water can be drawn for each use without holding tap open and a catch pan. Please download this handout for more information regarding a temporary hand wash station. Disinfecting hand soap and single-service paper towels are also required. Hands must be washing after using the restroom or smoking, before starting or returning to work at regular intervals while handling food. Instant hand sanitizers are not replacements for hand washing.
  3. All food and utensils must be stored off the ground and protected from dust and contamination.
  4. Condiments should be labeled and kept in covered containers.
  5. Unacceptable materials for storage and cooking: enamel-coated pots, copper, tin can, and cardboard. Acceptable: glass, stainless steal, aluminum, cast iron, and plastic.

Food Worker Card Policy

Clubs and organizations must identify at least one constituent that will be certified (by the state of Washington) to handle food, this is a mandatory requirement for students, staff and faculty members to self-cater events. These constituents must take an online course and pass an exam to be certified by Tacoma-Pierce Count Health Department. Additionally, any person preparing or serving food must have a valid food worker’s card prior to the event. Copies of valid food worker cards must be submitted to the Catering office within 7 days of the event. To take the online class, please visit the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department website ( There will be a $10.00 fee associated with this course and payment is made via credit card on the website, certification is immediate and is valid for 2 years from date of issue.

For more information regarding additional policies related to hosting your event, such as Fire Safety, Garbage Removal and Cleaning Policy, and the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department webpage; please visit PLU’s Catering webpage at: http://www.plu.ed/catering/bake-sales-potlucks/

University Catering Services provides catering for campus venues; including outdoor spaces. All food & beverage needs for events scheduled within the Anderson University Center are required to be obtained through Catering Services. More information can be found on Catering Services website at

> Using Liability Waivers

Liability waivers are available through Student Involvement and Leadership for events your organization is sponsoring. In general, a liability waiver should be obtained if participation in the event presents the potential for danger to any of the students involved. This risk might include traveling off-campus, performance on a stage or risers or physical activity (such as run/walk events or sports tournaments). If you are unsure about whether a liability waiver is necessary, contact Student Involvement and Leadership for advice. Specific waivers for a particular event can be drafted to allow for a quicker process at the beginning of your event through Clubs and Organizations. Following the completion of the Event Planning Form, you may e-mail to discuss the creation of an event-specific waiver.

Please note that 10 working days notice is needed to prepare liability waivers that are event-specific. Contact the Clubs and Orgs Intern as early as possible!

Once a waiver is obtained, make enough copies for all participants and have all participants sign a waiver prior to the beginning of the event or leaving campus. Students who are under the age of 18 need the signature of a parent or legal guardian. If you have students who are under the age of 18, you will want to contact those students well in advance so they are able to participate.

Within one week after your event, submit all the signed waivers to the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership for archiving. Clubs/Organizations participating in domestic service travel must submit signed waivers to SIL at least two weeks prior to departure. Clubs/Organizations participating in international travel must work in conjunction with the Wang Center for Global Education for proper paperwork and requirements. SIL keeps waivers on file for three years after the event unless minors participate. If Minors have participated, the waivers will be maintained for three years after the individual has turned 18. For more information on policies and procedures for domestic and international travel please see below.

> Noise Ordinances for Outdoor Events

When holding events outside that involve high levels of noise (amplifiers, bands, etc.), student clubs/organizations need to get approval from the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department. This helps inform PLU’s neighbors of the event to minimize disturbance.

If your club is interested in putting on an event that involves any outdoor amplification of sound that could extend farther than the reach of PLU’s campus, a form must be filed with Pierce County Sheriff’s Department. Should this be a portion of your event, please see Student Involvement and Leadership for assistance in obtaining and completing the appropriate forms.

The Office for Student Engagement supports student club/organization travel to engage in service, conferences, competitions and other activities in order to augment students’ experiences outside of the classroom, to facilitate professional development, and to enrich the communities in which students engage. Student club/organization requests to travel either domestically or internationally will be considered in light of the educational, experiential, service, and/or social purposes of the travel. Specific attention will be placed on management of risks, safety of participants in the proposed travel destination, and the planned activities. All overnight retreats and trips off campus must be accompanied by the club/organization adviser or another faculty/staff member asked in advance and approved by the Office for Student Engagement.

The Office for Student Engagement in conjunction with the Wang Center for Global Education has final discretion on decisions regarding domestic or international travel by student organizations. All activities and travel must conform to the University’s general regulations pertaining to student activities as presented in this handbook and in the Student Code of Conduct. The Student Code of Conduct applies to all students on and off-campus, including during domestic and international travel. Reports of violations of the code could result in conduct proceedings, both for an individual and/or group, upon return to campus. An individual student’s conduct record could impact his or her eligibility to participate in student organization travel. Such decisions will be made by Student Engagement in conjunction with Student Rights and Responsibilities.

All student organization travel must be registered with Student Engagement. In order to protect the safety and best interest of students and PLU employees traveling, PLU reserves the right to cancel any travel plans at any time, regardless of prior approval based on a review of current conditions. As such, while not required, travel insurance is highly recommended, particularly for international travel. Please contact Student Engagement with any questions, 253-535-7195.

Liability Waivers and Forms

All PLU student participants in student club/organization domestic and international travel must sign a liability waiver prior to departure. Student Involvement and Leadership will obtain liability waivers for the organization upon submission of completed documentation. Signed waivers must be returned to the Office of Student Engagement  at least two weeks prior to departure. The Office for Student Engagement reserves the right to withdraw a student from a planned trip if they fail to submit their paperwork on time. For overnight trips, additional health forms may be required. To view a complete list of all appropriate forms needing to be completed, please visit our website and view the Travel Documents section:

  • Required Forms:
    • Faculty/Staff Statement of Responsibility and Authorization Waiver
    • Faculty/Staff Confidential Medical Statement for Travel
    • Student Statement of Responsibility and Authorization Waiver
    • Student Confidential Medical Statement for Travel

> Transportation Options available to Clubs

There are multiple ways for your club/organization to participate in off-campus events that involve traveling a distance greater than is possible without use of a vehicle. Individuals seeking to use fleet or rented vehicles (12- passenger vans) must be certified through Campus Safety. Available options include:

  • PLU-owned 12-passenger vehicles can be rented through Campus Safety
  • PLU-owned Prius can be rented through Campus Safety
  • 12-passenger vans can be rented from Enterprise through Campus Safety
  • Public transportation is strongly encouraged where applicable

Students/advisors are not allowed to organize carpools as the safety of the vehicle, driver, and/or other factors are outside of the University’s control.

Vehicle Insurance

PLU does not provide insurance coverage for personal vehicles used in student club/organization travel. Clubs/Organizations are responsible for their own insurance coverage and the payment of all claims and damages if using a personal vehicle. PLU’s auto insurance will provide coverage for vehicles rented for PLU sponsored activities.

> International Travel

Traveling internationally is a complicated process. If traveling internationally, you must work with the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership in conjunction with the Wang Center for Global Education. This process should be initiated at least 9-12 months prior to departure date. For detailed guidelines following the Wang Center for Global Education policies, procedures, and resources please review the Travel Guide 15-16 that can be found here: .

The following types of things need to be taken care of before a trip can be approved:

  1. Identify an Advisor or Faculty/Staff member who will accompany you on this trip
    1. Signature must be acquired
  2. Identify a clear location/destination in which you will be traveling to
    1. This location will need to be cleared through the Wang Center for Global Education to ensure that there are no travel warnings for this destination
  3. Consult with the Wang Center for Global Education to ensure completion of proper trainings
    1. Trip leader trainings
    2. Student trainings
  4. Provide a detailed itinerary
    1. Hotel names (star ratings included)
  5. Submit proper paperwork
    1. Confidential Medical Statement for Travel
    2. Statement of Responsibility and Authorization Waiver
    3. See below for a complete list of documentation

Pre-departure meeting for International Travel

For all student organization international travel, trip leaders are required to complete a pre-departure itinerary at least two weeks prior to the scheduled departure date. An orientation, which is an in-person meeting facilitated by representatives from SIL will address issues including but not limited to health, safety, security, accident procedures, and expectations – all trip participants must be present. Due to traveling overseas, you must also schedule a meeting with our Director of Risk Management and Insurance, Sue Liden, to go over foreign travel insurance.

> Domestic Travel

Domestic travel must be registered and approved by Student Involvement and Leadership (AUC 161) by submitting the appropriate documentation at least two weeks prior to the departure date.

All recognized student organizations have the right to hold a Banner FOAP Account that keeps club and organization funds. Clubs are not given any money at their creation nor is there an annual budget allotted to each club. All fundraising must be completed by the individual club in accordance with the following policies.

> Student Organization Funding through ASPLU Appropriations:

Student clubs may apply for funding from the SAB Appropriations committee. This money is typically allotted to clubs who are putting on programs that impact a greater community than the club. Your club must be registered and in good standing with the University.

The SAB Appropriations Board will not fund the following items:

  • Operating Expenses for the club
  • Travel for students
  • Recurring event expenses (i.e. weekly meetings)
  • Fundraisers
  • Ambiguous or vague events on the form
  • Food for off campus events or on-campus weekly meetings
  • Previous or Past Events

Exceptions will be made at the discretion of the Appropriations Board and the SAB Finance Director The SAB Appropriations Application can be found on the Clubs and Orgs website at

> Fundraising Policy

Student clubs/organizations are permitted to sponsor fundraising activities. Only recognized and registered student clubs/organizations may sponsor a fundraising activity. There are three different types of fundraising activities: internal fundraisers, external fundraisers, and solicitations, donations, or in-kind contributions.

Student Involvement and Leadership must approve all fundraising activities sponsored by student organizations through completion and acceptance of an Event Planning Form. Fundraising activities must be consistent with the mission of PLU, and adhere to all local, state, and Federal laws and ordinances.

> Cash Boxes

Programs where student monies are collected

  • The Office of Student Involvement and Leadership (SIL) currently owns two cash boxes.
  • Programs where money is usually collected includes: selling club swag/clothing, bags, candy, or other items.  Before any information about the product is presented to the student population, the product information must be reviewed by SIL. This can be done through the Event Planning Form. The information should include product description, cost, order quantity (be sure to check for price differences based on order size), set up or printing cost, shipping fees, tax and time lines.
  • Once this information has been reviewed and a comprehensive cost established, advertisement and money collection can proceed.  When collecting money, records must be kept of each transaction to include name of payee, size if applicable for clothing, etc.  A written receipt must be given for each payment.
    • If information is needed for tax purposes, please see the Assistant Director of SIL for details and next steps.
  • Deposits must be made daily through the Business Office. No money will be stored in a student’s possession overnight.  If you are collecting money when the Business Office is not open, please contact Campus Safety to pick up the cash box and store it in their safe until the Business Office reopens and it can be delivered there to complete the deposit. The last pick up of the day is 2 pm.  If monies are collected in the evening, prior arrangements must be made between the Assistant Director of SIL and Campus Safety to accommodate the situation. Once you have deposited the money through the Business Office, please return the Cash Box(es) to the Campus Life Office.
  • If your event is requiring you to have money on hand in the cash box, please submit a Cash Advance Event Form at least two (2) weeks prior to the event.

Please fill out the form 2 weeks in advance for a Cash Box. Someone from SIL will respond back regarding logistics.

> Internal Fundraisers

Internal fundraisers are defined as events sponsored to raise money for internal organizational use (e.g., operating expenses, organizational activities, etc.)

  • Contributions to internal fundraisers are not tax deductible. Student organizations may not rely on the university’s tax exempt status in organizing or operating such an event and shall in no way imply that the university is a sponsor of the event.
  • The net proceeds of the fundraiser are to be dedicated only to funding the organization’s activities that comport with the organization’s stated purpose(s).
  • No raffles, lotteries or sweepstakes may be held. An event involving all three of the following: (1) an entry fee (2) a prize (3) chance/luck, may fall under the legal definition of gaming, which is regulated by state law. Please contact Student Involvement and Leadership to determine if a proposed event would be considered a “raffle” or illegal gambling.
  • Fundraisers that promote the use and/or sale of alcohol (e.g., happy hours) will not be approved.
  • Fundraisers involving credit cards (e.g., credit card applications) will not be approved.
  • All fundraising plans must be submitted to Student Involvement and Leadership for approval at least three weeks prior to the fundraising activity by completing an Event Planning Form.

> External Fundraisers

External fundraisers are defined as events sponsored to raise money for charitable, tax-exempt organizations external to the university.

The following policy allows recognized student organizations to use university facilities and sponsor events to raise money for another tax-exempt charitable, educational, or religious off-campus organization as defined under the Internal Revenue Code Section 501 (c) (3).

  • The proposed recipient must be an IRS-recognized 501 (c) (3) organization. A copy of the IRS determination letter verifying this status must be submitted with the Event Planning Form. All commercial or political activities or organizations as well as unorganized or unrecognized public groups irrespective of their avowed aims or purposes are strictly excluded as recipients.
  • The funds devoted to such purposes are to be confined to the net amounts realized from voluntary contributions made to such activity.
  • Contributions to external fundraisers must be made payable directly to the external charitable organization. The student organization and charitable organization shall in no way imply that the university is a sponsor of the event.
  • No raffles, lotteries or sweepstakes may be held. An event involving all three of the following: (1) an entry fee (2) a prize (3) chance/luck, may fall under the legal definition of gaming, which is regulated by state law. Please contact Student Involvement and Leadership to determine if a proposed event would be considered a “raffle” or illegal gambling.
  • Fundraisers that promote the use and/or sale of alcohol (e.g., happy hours) will not be approved.
  • Fundraisers involving credit cards (e.g., credit card applications) will not be approved.
  • All fundraising plans must be submitted for approval at least three weeks prior to the fundraising activity by completing an Event Planning Form, and include a copy of the Internal Revenue Code Section 501 (c) (3) form obtained from that organization.

> Solicitations, Donations or In-Kind Contributions

Asking for funds or donations of goods or services either for internal organizational use, activity, or in support of an approved internal or external fundraiser.

The following policy provides a means for recognized student organizations to occasionally solicit funds or contributions (in contrast with conducting a fund-raising activity or event) from students, faculty/staff, alumni, individuals who are not alumni, parents, corporations, and/or foundations, for the student organization’s internal use directly related to its stated purposes, for an approved campus event, or in support of an approved internal fundraiser.

In addition to the guidelines delineated in this handbook for Internal Fundraisers, requests for solicitation of monies by recognized student clubs/organizations may be considered for approval by Student Involvement and Leadership provided they meet at least the following requirements:

  • The net proceeds of the fundraiser are to be dedicated only to funding the organization’s activities that comport with the organization’s stated purpose(s), or for a previously approved campus project.
  • No solicitations will be made or given for the benefit of another tax-exempt charitable, educational, or religious off-campus organization; or any commercial or political organizations or activities; or unorganized public or private groups irrespective of their avowed aims or purposes.
  • Funds requested are to be derived from voluntary contributions specifically made to meet the purposes of the approved solicitation.
  • Solicitation of a student clubs/organization’s own members does not require approval from Student Involvement and Leadership. Solicitations of any person or entity other than a student organization member (e.g. faculty/staff, alumni, individuals who are not alumni, parents, corporations, foundations) require review and approval from Student Involvement and Leadership, in consultation with University Advancement as appropriate.
  • All plans for fundraising must be submitted for approval at least three (3) weeks prior to the fundraising activity by completing an Event Planning Form.
  • Solicitations or in-kind contributions (e.g., donations of gift certificates, products or services) must also comply with this policy.

> FOAP Account

Student clubs are entitled to the creation of a FOAP Banner Account. Funds roll over year to year, however, no money is allotted to clubs at their creation or at the beginning of each academic year. All funds must be raised by the individual club/organization.

Oversight of these accounts will rest primarily with the Treasurer in conjunction with the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership.

To utilize the account, the club President and Treasurer must attend a session at the beginning of the academic year that will instruct on how to properly use the funding. The Office of Student Involvement and Leadership is the Financial Manager for all student club accounts. Should a club need to spend money from their account, the club Treasurer will work in conjunction with the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership for signatures on reimbursements, cash advances, and/or check request forms.

There are two Financial Managers within the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership that may approve and sign off on appropriate paperwork; these are the Director of SIL and the Program Coordinator. When submitting any paperwork for reimbursement purposes, please go to the Office of Campus Life Front Desk (AUC 161) and turn this in. The Front Desk worker will work in conjunction with the Financial Managers to get the paperwork signed and will then notify the club member that the paperwork may be picked up and taken to the Business Office for reimbursement. Please see the sections below for specific paperwork requirements.

> How To Access Funds

A club can access their finds in multiple ways. All forms are available on the Student Involvement and Leadership Clubs website at . Club funds may not be spent on alcohol, drugs, gambling, or other items that violate PLU’s Student Code of Conduct or local and federal law. If you have any questions about how to fill these forms out, contact the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership.

> Account Charge

There are only two places that can directly charge a club account. Impact and Catering can charge directly to a club account. Bring your club FOAP Account Code to any of those locations and ask for a departmental charge. Fill out the necessary paperwork.

> Cash Advance Form

A club member may request up to $75.00 in cash prior to the purchase of club-related items. This form must be signed by the Financial Manager in the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership. The recipient of the money is responsible to purchase necessary items, collect an itemized receipt, and bring exact change to the Business Office within 7 days. The amount spent will be charged to the club account.

> Cash Reimbursement Form

Purchases made by a club member that total under $75.00 can be charged to a student account using a Cash Reimbursement Form. Complete this form (including the Financial Manager signature) and attach an itemized receipt then bring to the Business Office. A cash reimbursement will be provided to the student.

> Payment Request Form

For purchases over $75.00 a Payment Request Form may be submitted for both reimbursement and invoiced purchases. For a reimbursement original, itemized receipts must be attached. To have a check cut for a performer or service provider, a detailed invoice must be attached prior to submission to the Business Office. Note: Checks are only cut on Fridays and typically take two (2) weeks to process. These requests should be submitted at least two (2) weeks prior to when the funds are required. If a Payment Request is submitted on a Monday before 5pm, the payment will still be issued back by that Friday. If Payment Requests are submitted Tuesday – Friday, this Payment Request will not be processed until the following Friday.

> Credit Card Purchases

For large purchases that can be completed over the phone or through the internet, such as plane tickets, furniture, or other large supplies, please contact the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership for assistance.

Click below to find publicity information.

> Advertising and Publicity Policies

Various types of posting areas and bulletin boards are provided throughout the PLU campus to provide information to students, faculty and staff. Student Engagement must stamp all posted materials for approval. This stamp is certification that the sponsoring organization has met the following applicable conditions established by Student Engagement. Authorization may be refused if one or more of these conditions have not been met. This authorization is neither an endorsement of the activities nor of the subjective quality of the publicity, but rather allows the sponsoring organization to publicize events in accordance with these procedures.

Posters may be stamped at the front desk  by Student Engagement student workers in AUC 140, the SAB and Clubs and Organizations space. If there is no staff there, please visit the front desk of Campus Life in AUC 161.

When posting in any area, local regulations supersede those set by Student Engagement. It is the responsibility of the organization initiating the publicity to comply with such regulations. Students wishing to post advertisements and notices in buildings other than in the AUC facilities are urged to check with the appropriate college or departmental secretaries or building supervisors for rules governing posting in that building or area.


  • The full name of the sponsoring organization
  • The time, date and place of the event
  • Any entrance fees or costs to participate
  • Contact information for the event (i.e. email or phone number)

Note: For all dances and concerts the following must be on the publicity and tickets: Non-student guests must be18 years of age with proper identification.

Only officially recognized PLU University student organizations may advertise functions or activities within the campus area. Occasionally, when the interest to PLU students would be great, small notices, either commercial or from other universities, may be posted if sponsored by a PLU club or organization.

Any organization failing to comply with these policies and procedures may lose their posting privileges as well as other privileges for a stated period of time.

  • Posters must be removed within 24 hours of the completion of the event.
  • Activities which are open to members and non-members of the organization may be publicized through general advertising media. However, notification of a meeting or event that is only open to organization members should be made internally via email or similar method
  • Flyers and posters must be confined to bulletin boards and designated posting areas, such as Impact bulletin boards, AUC corkboards, or other building-specific posting areas (with prior approval). Posting on walls, windows, doors, sidewalks, fences, buildings and grounds is strictly prohibited and all publicity placed there, with or without an approval stamp, will be removed. There may be only one poster or flyer publicizing a given activity on a bulletin board.
  • The maximum allowable size for posters on Impact bulletin boards is11 x 17 inches. Student Engagement may grant special consideration for special events that may require larger posters. Butcher paper posters may be up to 36” x 36”.
  • No posters or other forms of publicity will be approved advertising or implying the sale or use of alcoholic beverages (i.e. pub crawls, drink specials, happy hours).
  • Table toppers may be posted within the AUC Commons in conjunction with Dining and Culinary Services. If you would like Impact to print, cut, and deliver your ads to Dining, please fill out a Quick Copy Request.

> Impact

Impact Boards

Material to be posted on Impact bulletin boards must first be brought to AUC 140, the SAB/Clubs and Orgs space, and be approved and stamped by a front desk worker prior to posting. A front desk worker will check to see if Impact bulletin boards have space for your poster. If there is no space, you will be asked to take back your poster and check back later. We will not stamp posters or flyers until the event is approved using the Event Planning Form. Posters will then be brought over to the Impact Office, located at AUC 142. Impact will distribute the posters to all Impact bulletin boards around campus.

Distribution times vary by semester, so check Impact’s website for accurate dates and times.


Impact-TV is the system that publicizes events on AUC screens. These ads will run all day, every day, for however long you submit a request for. Static ads cost $2.50 per day, and video ads $4.50 per day. Submit your request via the creative request form on the Impact website.

Weekly Flyer

The Weekly Flyer is a colorful collection of informative advertisements from clubs and organizations all over the PLU campus. 90 copies are distributed each weekday to PLU students, faculty, and administration.

  • Weekly Flyer advertisements are limited to on-campus events and organization.
  • Ads are due at 4pm on Fridays.
  • Impact DOES NOT ACCEPT Publisher (.pub) and Word (.doc/.docx) documents. Please make sure your ad is saved either as a PDF (.pdf) or JPEG (.jpg) file before you upload it. If you have questions regarding your Weekly Flyer Ad or need to make a change to your ad request (new file, different run dates, etc.), please email

> Chalking Announcements on Campus

All chalking is approved by Student Engagement. You must submit a Chalk Advertising request form if you would like to chalk on campus. Chalk that is not approved will be washed off as it is noticed. Any group not following these instructions or chalking in unapproved areas will not be allowed to chalk in the future.

Please remember:

  • Do not chalk within 25 feet of any door
  • Do not chalk under any overhang (it takes a very long time to wear away)
  • Do not chalk on brick
  • Do not chalk on Synthetic Surfaces
  • Alternate sidewalk blocks so you are not chalking on every one
  • Chalking on any vertical service (buildings or walls) is strictly prohibited
  • The material used to mark the walk must be water-soluble chalk (sidewalk chalk). The use of markers, paints, oil-based products, or spray chalk is prohibited

Chalking may not occur on the following spaces:

  • Red Square
  • AUC Atrium
  • MBR Amphitheater
  • Soccer field, baseball field, track, tennis courts

> Die-Cut Policy

This machine is hand operated and is used to produce multiple copies of precision cut letters and shapes using commercially produced dies. This machine is primarily for student club/organization use. The machine is located in the Clubhouse space in the lower AUC area.

You must make an appointment to use the die-cut machine. The die-cut machine is only available Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm. To check out the dies you must contact a student leader in the Clubhouse. If a student leader is not available then you will need to go to the Campus Life Office, AUC 161, to have the dies unlocked.

When using the die-cut machine, you must fill out the Die-Cut Check Out Form and provide the description for use. There is no charge to use the machine. Users must use the butcher paper provided in the Clubhouse. Users must clean the work area after use of the machine and return dies to their proper place.

Any damage to the machine caused by negligence will be the responsibility of the user. You will be given instructions in the proper usage of the machine by a staff member.

> Logo Usage

Usage of the Pacific Lutheran University Rose Window emblem is strictly prohibited, as is modification of this logo in any way for the use of promotion.

> Posting Flyers in the Residence Halls

Any posters or advertisements intended for a residence hall or halls must be coordinated with the Resident Director of the building in conjunction with Student Engagement. All above stipulations still apply.

> Other Publicity Avenues

AUC Corkboards

Three corkboards located in the AUC are open for use by clubs using either butcher paper or traditional advertising. All advertisements still must be stamped by Student Involvement and Leadership. Please DO NOT use staples on these boards. Tacks and pushpins only.

University Calendar

If you would like your event posted on the PLU University Event Calendar, go to and register your event using 25Live. Check the LuteCal and PLU Home Page boxes to ensure it is included in the LuteGuide app and on the campus calendar website. To ensure that your event is also on the Student Engagement Website, please select Student Event and Student Engagement.