- Professor of Communication
- Ph.D., Rhetoric, University of Texas, 2007
- M.A., Communication Studies, University of Texas at Austin, 2003
- B.A., Communication Studies, Vanderbilt University
Areas of Emphasis or Expertise
- Public Relations
- Prophets, Gurus, and Pundits: Rhetorical Styles and Public Engagement (Southern Illinois University Press 2014) : View Book
- Anna M. Young, Justin Eckstein* & Donovan Conley. "Rhetorics and Foodways." Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies 02/12/15:
- Justin Eckstein* & Anna M. Young. "Cooking, Celebrity Chefs, and Public Chef Intellectuals." Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies 02/12/15:
- Presented at the 2015 TEDxTacoma event under the theme “Did you know... ”
Dr. Anna Marjorie “Amy” Young is originally from Bellevue, Washington where she graduated from Bellevue High School. She attended Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, earning a B.A. in Communication Studies. Upon graduation, she worked for IBM as a Client Representative, managing executive relationships and consulting on technology and business decisions with clients in the public sector in Tennessee.
In 2001, she began the Master’s program in Communication Studies at the University of Texas at Austin, earning her M.A. in 2003. She earned her Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin in 2007. In Fall, 2007, Amy joined the faculty of Pacific Lutheran University.
Dr. Young’s scholarship pursues questions of rhetorical style, expertise and engagement in the public sphere. She lies awake at night fretting about the state of our public discourse and uses her scholarship to enable colleagues and students to claim or reclaim their roles as public agents and citizens. She is a member of the National Communication Association and the Rhetoric Society of America.
Dr. Young’s work explores questions of style and public engagement. Her most recent book, Prophets, Gurus & Pundits: Rhetorical Styles & Public Engagement (Southern Illinois University Press) is available on Amazon. Her work appears in a variety of journals and books including the Quarterly Journal of Speech and Communication & Critical/Cultural Studies. Her edited book on academic motherhood will be out later this year.