The workshop will focus on analysis of AP Calculus AB exam questions, syllabus construction using AP Audit guidelines, teaching strategies, and preparing students for success on the AP Calculus AB Exam. Several hands-on activities will be completed using graphical, numerical, and analytic representations as well as a computer lab session focusing on selected websites. Participants will be trained to score free response questions using the scoring standards and actual student samples used in briefing sessions at the AP Calculus AB Reading. Highlights from the AP: Strategies for Success in AP Mathematics College Board workshop will also be discussed.
- Included in Workshop:
- College Board Workshop Handbook
- Curriculum Materials and Activities
- Sample Textbooks and/or E-books
- TI-84 & TI Nspire Activities
- Flash drive
- Workshop Emphasis:
- Familiarize the beginning AP teacher with the Calculus AB curriculum
- Familiarize current AP teachers to the upcoming changes to the AB syllabus
- Assist in lesson planning
- Creating a syllabus for the audit review.
- Assist with technology interface
- Materials review
- AP Exam review
- Special topics:
- Slope fields
- Differential equations
- The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus including integral functions.
- The Mean Value Theorem.
- Derivative of the inverse of a function.
Items Participates Should Bring:
Writing utensils, notebook paper, a graphing calculator and a laptop
Schedule Available as institute nears
Paula Gentry is currently the Upper School Math Department Chair at Woodward Academy where she has math curriculum responsibilities for grades PK – 12. She has taught Calculus at many levels during her 33 year career as a math teacher both at Woodward and at Bournemouth School for Girls in England, the country of her birth. During her time as a math educator, Paula has taught every grade level 6th – 12th, including 20 years teaching BC Calculus and 8 years teaching AB Calculus. Paula has read the AP Calculus Exams since 2006 and she completed her College Board Consultant training in 2012.