This AP Statistics course will highlight topics from the four basic content areas for new and less experienced statistics teachers focusing on content. We will follow a yearly calendar and integrate activities with demonstration problems and presentation possibilities.
The goals of the four-day session:
• Gain sufficient content knowledge for all required AP Statistics topics
• Discovery activities will be introduced and discussed to foster deeper student understanding
• Technology will include discussion of online learning, PowerPoints and internet applets.
• Fathom software will be presented as an optional supplement to the curriculum
• Discussion of supplemental materials, AP grading, differentiated instruction and ideas to building an AP Statistics program.
• Sampling design, experimental design
• Univariate data: graphical displays, numerical representations
• Bivariate data: linear and nonlinear regression
• Classic probability: independence, conditional probability
• Random variables: transforming and combining
• Binomial and geometric distributions
• Normal distribution
• Sampling distributions and Central Limit Theorem
• Confidence intervals: proportions and t-intervals
• Test of significance: proportions and t-tests
• Two population procedures
• Chi-squared procedures
• Inference for linear regression
• AP grading
• Building an AP Statistics program
After graduating from the University of Texas, Richard Cowles began in his education career in Central Africa with the United States Peace Corps. He spent three years in Chad in the village of Pala teaching middle school mathematics. Since starting the AP Statistics program at McCallum High School, Richard has built the program into one of the largest in the Austin school district. In his twentieth year teaching statistics and his fifteenth year as a College Board consultant, Richard is often exploring the use of technology, discovery and graphic organizers in aiding the understanding of statistics. He is lucky to have an in-house consulting team consisting of his 14 year old daughter Samantha and 11 year old twins, Benjamin and Megan.