- Program Director for The Tacoma Immersion Experience Semester
- M.F.A., Visual Communication, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, 2004
- B.A., Visual Communication, Valparaiso University, 2000
Areas of Emphasis or Expertise
- Graphic Design
- Non-linear narrative structure
- Curriculum for the Bioregion, Bringing Transformative Learning Home: Experiencing study abroad outcomes in our own backyard, Evergreen Community College, Tacoma, WA (January 2016)
- Resident Leadership Institute, Creative Wellness, Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, WA (January 2016)
- Resident Leadership Institute, Advocate for Yourself: The Balance Between Your Passions and Your Well-Being, Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, WA (August 2013)
- Student Leadership Institute, To the Classroom and Beyond, Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, WA (August 2012)
- Career Panel, Careers in the Arts, Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, IN (April 2012)
- Greening of Campus IX, reDESIGN Art for All: Creating an Interdisciplinary Program with Graphic Design, Sustainability, and Student Leadership, Ball State University, Muncie, IN (March 2012)
- First Year Orientation, Common Reading Discussion Panel, Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, WA (August 2009)
- Avila, J.P.G., Cooley, C., Smith, L. "reDesign Art for All: Creating an Interdisciplinary Program with Graphic Design, Sustainability, and Student Leadership (Chapter)." Teaching Sustainability 2014:
- Mandaville, A. M., Avila, J.P.G. "It’s a word! It’s a picture!: Interdisciplinary Approaches to Teaching Comics (Chapter)." Teaching the Graphic Novel 2009:
- Avila J.P.G. "Flora + Familia." The Ripe Design Press 2008:
- Avila, J.P.G., Ebbinga, S. E. "Co-Chairing an Academic Department (Article)." Department Chair Online Resource Center 2008:
- Avila, J.P.G. "Labor Day; The Workingman’s Holiday (Chapter)." Monacelli Press 2004:
- Avila J.P.G. "Lives Intersecting." The Ripe Design Press 2004:
- Faculty Excellence Award in Advising 2013-2014
Jp Avila is Associate Professor of Art & Design at Pacific Lutheran University. He received his MFA in Visual Communication from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago and his BA in Graphic Design from Valparaiso University.
Along with teaching graphic design and comics, he also designs visual novellas as part of his research on non-linear narrative structures. He has written articles for “The Business of Holidays” and “Teaching Comics” for the MLA. In addition he has written articles on departmental leadership and provides consultations to other universities for departmental reviews and strategic planning.
Avila has served on AIGA’s Diversity Taskforce, has co-chaired Pacific Lutheran University’s PLU2020 strategic planning documents and committees, and is the Program Directory for PLU’s Tacoma Immersion Experience Semester. He has been appointed to the Board of Directors for The Grand Cinema. He recently stepped down as chair of the Department of Art & Design after nine years in the position.