The STARTALK Teacher Program will prepare native (or near-native) speakers of Chinese or Korean to teach their world language to K-12 students. Participants will learn effective principles for 21st century world language teaching, with a special focus on connecting to STEAM content areas (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) as well as differentiating and accommodating special needs students. Participants will have the opportunity to observe veteran teachers of Chinese and Korean as well as to teach demo lessons to high school students. The program provides four continuing education credits for participants. The course consists of two online classes in July prior to the start of the face to face class. The face-to-face class sessions will be held on PLU’s campus Monday-Friday, 9am-3pm, July 30-August 17, 2018.
Registration fee: $40 (tuition, text, and assessments covered by STARTALK funding) – Application Now Open! Apply soon, spots are limited.
- 10 native (or near native) speakers of Chinese and 5 native (or near native) speakers of Korean
- 3 hours of pre-program online component in July
- 15-day Intensive program for teachers, 5 hours a day
- Lesson planning and micro-teaching
- 4 continuing education graduate credits from PLU’s School of Education
- Standards and content-based program, focused on developing communicative proficiency
- Emphasis on STEAM ((Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math)
- Content knowledge to pass the Washington Educator Skills Test – Endorsement (WEST-E) WL
- Funding for required assessments for those pursuing teacher certification and/or World Language Endorsement (WEST-B, WEST-E and ACTFL OPIc and WPT)
- Copy of ACTFL’s publication Keys to Planning for Learning
- By completing the PLU 2018 STARTALK Teacher Program, will I qualify for a Washington State Teaching Certificate?
- Could I still be selected for the program even if I don’t already have a Washington State Teaching Certificate?
- What is the process to become a Certificated Teacher in Washington?
- I have attended other STARTALK Teacher Programs. Can I still register for this one?
- Are there other fees beyond the $40 registration fee?
By completing the PLU 2018 STARTALK Teacher Program, will I qualify for a Washington State Teaching Certificate?
No. This program is not a complete teacher certification program. This program is intended for current teachers who already have WA State Certification and want to ADD a World Language Endorsement in one of the languages offered. It is also beneficial for teachers in college or community-based language programs or private schools that do not require Certification
Could I still be selected for the program even if I don’t already have a Washington State Teaching Certificate?
Yes. In years past, there have been plenty of open spots for interested teachers. Register early and we’ll follow up soon to answer your questions.
I have attended other STARTALK Teacher Programs. Can I still register for this one?
Yes. We realize that many newer teachers would benefit from an opportunity to review the core principles of Teacher Effectiveness for Language Learning and also get more experience writing learning plans and doing microteaching with students, especially with differentiation and working with special needs students.
Are there other fees beyond the $40 registration fee?
There are no additional fees and all materials are provided. Participants are responsible for their own meals and housing if they come from out of the area.