What is Interlibrary Loan?
Interlibrary Loan, also known as ILL, is a service for obtaining materials (books, media, and journal articles) that the PLU Library does not own.
What is ILLiad?
ILLiad is the name of the software program used to create your account where you make, track, and retrieve your ILL requests.
Who can use the ILL service?
- ILL is available to PLU community members:
- Currently registered PLU students
- PLU faculty (regular, visiting, or emerti)
- PLU staff and administrators
- ILL is not available to alumni
For others that are not considered to be part of the PLU borrowing community, please contact your current educational institution or local public library for interlibrary loan services.
What types of materials can I request?
- Journal articles
- Single book chapter
- Music scores
E-Books are not available to borrow because of licensing agreements
Dissertations/Theses require permission from a librarian and are often not available to borrow
How many items may I order?
- Undergraduates: Limit of 15 active requests
- Graduate: Limit of 15 active requests
- Staff: Limit of 10 active requests
- Faculty: No limit
How much will it cost?
ILL is free to you. The PLU library covers the cost of obtaining library items and shipping materials as well as any associated copyright fees.
Where do you get things from?
The PLU Library is a member of a number of consortiums, both local and national, that agree to share materials.
How do I submit a request?
Ways to submit a request:
- Through a direct link in our catalog or databases (EBSCOHost, WorldCat, etc.)—the link will automatically fill in the form with the article/book information.
- Submit a request using the request form in your ILLiad account. Please give us a complete citation (title, author, date, journal, pages).
First time users will need to create an account
How long does it take once I have submitted my request?
- Articles arrive in 2-5 days.
- Books and other “loan-able” materials arrive in 7-10 days.
How do I cancel a request?
If you no longer want an item you requested, please cancel it.
- Login to your ILLiad account
- Under “View” click on “Outstanding Requests”
- Click on the “Transaction Number” of the request you wish to cancel
- Click on “Cancel Request”
If there are problems canceling an item, please contact the ILL office at email@example.com or 253-535-7508.
What if I forgot my ILLiad account username or password?
How will I receive my materials?
- Most articles are delivered electronically to your ILLiad account or your PLU e-mail as PDF files.
Books, DVDs, CDs, and Microfilm can be picked up from the shelves labeled “Interlibrary Loan” next to the library’s front desk. You must check these items out at the front desk.
How long do I have to pick up my book or access my article?
- Articles need to be picked up within 14 days and saved or printed. After that they are deleted from the server.
- Unclaimed ILL books are returned to the lender after 14 days.
What copyright and photocopying restrictions apply?
Under certain conditions specified in copyright law (Title 17, United States Code), libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy, or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use”, that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
The PLU Library reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of the copyright law.
For more information concerning copyright, visit the PLU Library’s Copyright & Fair Use site : http://guides.library.plu.edu/fair-use.
How long may I keep items from another library?
Are there fines for returning items late?
There are no fines from PLU. However, if PLU receives a bill from the lending library (because the book is long overdue, lost or damaged), the cost will be added to the patron’s library account. There are no refunds.
How do I renew an ILL book?
Libraries generally renew items once for 2 weeks. However some libraries do not allow any renewals. Libraries can deny a renewal and may recall the item as well.
To Request a renewal:
- Login to your ILLiad account
- Under “View” click on “Checked Out Items” and then
- Click on the “Transaction Number” of the book you wish to renew.
- Click on “Renew Request.” It is up to the lending library to determine a new due date or to deny it.
- You will receive an email either way.
If there are problems renewing an item, please contact the ILL office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 253-535-7508.
If a renewal request is denied, or there are no renewals allowed, request the item again through ILL and every effort will be made to obtain another copy.
What if my ILL is overdue?
- ILL borrowing will be blocked once an ILL book is more than 14 days overdue.
- The block will be removed once the overdue material is returned.
- If PLU receives an invoice from the lending library for the replacement of overdue material, those fees will be passed along to the patron. There are no refunds.
Why was my ILL request canceled?
- Recently published books are too new and may not be shared.
- Rare, very old books, or archival materials are usually non-circulating.
- Dissertations and Master’s Theses are often held by one or two institutions and are non-circulating.
- E-books are not shared due to licensing agreements.
- Errors in the citation
If you have questions, please contact the ILL office at email@example.com or 253-535-7508.
Why won’t ILL order textbooks or course texts?
Most libraries do not borrow and lend textbooks. Also, items can not be kept for an entire term.
ILL is available to provide supplementary materials you might need for class-related research, but which are not owned by the PLU library. Purchasing textbooks and other class-required books is viewed as a normal part of college expenses.
How do I contact the ILL department?
- Hours: 9:00am to 2:00pm Monday-Friday and 10:00am-12:00pm Saturday
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 253-535-7508
- After hours: Contact the PLU Library Circulation Desk at 253-535-7500
Where is the ILL department?
We are located in PLU’s Mortvedt Library behind the front desk.
For libraries Wishing to Borrow from us
- We are an OCLC supplier and a member of LVIS, NAPCU and PSAIL! We accept both ALA and OCLC requests (OPV).
- We charge what you charge
If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com or 253-535-7508.