Event promotion and audience development guidelines
The Marketing & Communications team is increasingly being called on to work with departments and divisions across campus to plan and promote high-profile events, which is a very good thing! In an effort to help us help you make the most of your event, we’d like to share with you the following guidelines.
- Consultation on overall theme, timing, budget, and potential pitfalls.
- Print collateral production and distribution (posters, postcards, invitations, ads, tickets, etc.).
- Website support/guidance (reservation forms, web pages, url redirects, etc.).
- Strategic social media outreach.
- A story and/or home page banner on plu.edu.
- Calendar listings in local and regional media.
- News releases to appropriate media outlets/bloggers and personalized follow-up.
- Community outreach for co-promotional help and event attendance.
In our experience, this is the minimum timing for an effective promotional campaign:
- AT LEAST SIX WEEKS BEFORE THE EVENT: Creative brief and brainstorm.
- FIVE WEEKS BEFORE THE EVENT: News releases distributed. Event posted on the PLU home page calendar.
- FOUR WEEKS BEFORE: Professional poster distribution/posting. Web page and HTML email development.
- THREE WEEKS BEFORE: PLU News story/home page banner (sometimes earlier for higher-profile events). Live streaming scheduled and presenter permissions secured. Determine email distribution list in consultation with Advancement (for alumni contacts) and/or Student Life (for student contacts).
- TWO WEEKS BEFORE: Personalized media follow-up. Schedule event photography and videography, as needed.
- ONE WEEK BEFORE: Social media postings/event reminders.
- TWO-THREE DAYS BEFORE: Front position home page banner placement.
What we need from you:
- Please bring us into your planning sessions as early as possible, at minimum six weeks in advance!
- The basics: Who, What, Where, When, Why, How Much.
- Background materials and links to relevant websites.
- Contact information for featured speaker(s) or performer(s). Please alert us to any interesting human-interest stories that can help us personalize the event.
- Rights-approved, high-resolution art (publicity photos, sponsor logos, etc.). Please note that PLU News stories and homepage banners require art that can be sized to 1680 x 650.
- A quote or two explaining the relevance of the event to PLU and/or the community is much appreciated.
What you can expect from us:
- Approval of all print and web proofs, and approval of stories and news releases before they are posted or distributed.
- Alert you immediately with any media requests.
- Receipts for any off-campus production.
- Feedback and debrief.