Supporting those who have served
PLU is the closest university to Joint Base Lewis-McChord. We are proud to provide educational opportunities to military affiliated students and to support them in their academic and vocational pursuits.
Who are our Military Affiliated Students?
- Veterans of any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Spouses of veterans or currently serving members
- Children of veterans or currently serving members
- ROTC cadets
- Anyone currently using Veterans Administration Education Benefits
BRANCHES OF THE U.S. ARMED FORCES include Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy. Our military affiliated students also include those who serve in the National Guard and Reserves.
MILITARY AFFILIATED STUDENTS are in nearly every academic major at PLU. Most common intended majors for these students: Nursing, Psychology, History, Business, Geosciences, Kinesiology, Communication, and Biology.
Notable Current Veteran PLU Students
- Sylvia May ’18, a doctoral student at Pacific Lutheran University, was one of just eight students in the country to be awarded the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship in 2015.
- Steve Shumaker ’16, received two distinguished combat medals: the U.S. Army Distinguished Flying Cross, and the Gold Cross of Honour, Germany’s equivalent of the Medal of Honor. The Gold Cross medal is one of Germany’s highest awards for valor, and only a few have ever been awarded—never before to someone from a foreign military.
Notable Veteran Alumni PLU Alumni
- Ed Hrivnak ’96, author of “Wounded: A Legacy of Operation Iraqi Freedom”
- Darrel Bowman ’87, winner of the 2011 National SBA Veteran Small Business Champion Award
- Major General James Collins, ’78, Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army