- Masters in Education, Higher Education and Student Affairs, The University of Vermont, 2019
- Bachelors in Arts, Sociology with a minor in Spanish, Seattle University, 2010
- Supervises a staff of six Resident Assistants (RAs)
- Advises National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH)
- Provides direction for several Learning Communities (LCs) across one residence hall:
- Collateral Assignment: Residential Life Co-Curricular Programs
- Collaborate with Assistant Dean for Campus Life, Co-Curricular Learning, and Assessment in the implementation and assessment of learning objectives for learning communities that span multiple residence halls (e.g., First Year Wings, New Transfer & Returner Wings, Upper Division Housing, Gender Inclusive Housing) and learning community linked courses (including training for student/professional staff and campus partners, such as faculty)
- Coordinate annual Visitation Policy Voting and Roommate Agreement Processes
- Coordinate semi-annual Fire Safety Check Process
- Coordinate semi-annual LuteConnect program.
- Coordinate the semi-annual RA Evaluation process including collaborating with Assistant Director of Residential Operations for the Resident Survey.
- NASPA (National Association of College Student Personnel Administrators) , (2017 - Present)
- NASPA Assessment, Evaluation, and Research (AER) Region V Knowledge Community Rep , (2019 - Present)
Jess Cotton is excited to be back to the Pacific Northwest. Originally from Los Angeles, she knew when she completed two years in Residential Life at the University of Vermont, she wanted to be on the west coast. She studied Sociology with an emphasis on gender studies and norms at Seattle University.
After college, she worked in corporate America in sales, operations, and logistics for five years. She left corporate America with a desire to help college students gain a sense of belonging and develop resiliency skills for post graduation.
Currently, she volunteers with NASPA on informing our community about best practices with assessment and research in higher education. For fun, she loves to watch the Seattle Seahawks or play trivia.