About Hong International Community
Global Experience, Local Address.
The Hong International Community (HIC) serves as the hub of global education at PLU. It is home to six different language and/or culture houses brought together for a common passion for language study and global education. The houses are Norwegian, Chinese, French, German, Spanish, and International Honors (IHON). Students participating in Hong International Community focus on global awareness, language immersion, and cultural engagement. Each language house allows students to practice their language with other community members and form relationships with their faculty members. HIC is a welcoming community that creates a supportive home and a hopeful environment challenging students to become fluent in languages and conversant with international issues.
A former Hong resident uses his love of languages as the first ever Interpretive Ranger at Silver Falls State Park: Read the article in the Statesman Journal.
Great For Students Who ...
- have ongoing enrollment in coursework in one or more of the five languages and/or language fluency
- are heritage speakers of one (or more) of the five languages
- are interested in daily use of the House language in designated spaces and active participation in programs
- are enrolled in the International Honors (IHON) program
- are getting ready to study away and/or returning home after the adventures of study away.
Program + Learning Outcomes
By participating in Hong International Community, students will be able to:
- Improve language proficiency through participating in an immersive environment and interactive programs
- Demonstrate knowledge about language and culture using a social justice lens, acknowledging the impact of colonization and the ”country of origin” on global languages
- Articulate a personal perspective on at least one global/international issue, especially related to area of study or vocation
- Identify meaningful relationships with faculty and staff that support their global and/or language studies
While there are not specific courses linked with Hong International Community, residents often find themselves in co-enrolled IHON or language classes with their neighbors.
Below are a few examples of programs that have occurred in this Learning Community in the past! If you have an idea for a wing or hall program, contact your Resident Assistant or Community Advocate to see about planning it!
- International Coffee Hours | monthly language table conversations on a variety of international topics; language/topic rotate each month
- Hong Discoteca | annual event planned by Residence Hall Council
- International Education Week | participation in co-sponsored events as part of this annual week of events
- Trip to Poulsbo | the Norwegian Wing attends holiday festivities in this historically Scandinavian town every fall
- Faculty House Dinners | RAs and Faculty sponsor regular dinners with residents from the wings