About Kreidler Global Community
Global Experience, Local Address.
Kreidler Global Community serves as the hub of international and global engagement education at PLU. It is home to different language and/or culture houses brought together for a common passion for language study and global education. The houses are Chinese, French, Spanish, Global Studies, and International Honors. Students participating in Kreidler Global Community receive support when getting ready to study away and a welcoming home to return to after the adventures of study away.
A former Kreidler resident uses his love of languages as the first ever Interpretive Ranger at Silver Falls State Park: Read the article in the Statesman Journal.
Great For Students Who ...
- Have ongoing enrollment in coursework in one or more of the five languages and/or language fluency
- Are heritage speakers of one (or more) of the five languages
- Are interested in daily use of the House language in designated spaces and active participation in programs
- Are enrolled in the International Honors (IHON) program
- Are getting ready to study away and/or returning home after the adventures of study away.
Program + Learning Outcomes
By participating in Kreidler Global Community, students will be able to:
- Improve language proficiency through participating in an immersive environment and interactive programs
- Demonstrate knowledge about language and culture using a social justice lens, acknowledging the impact of colonization and the ”country of origin” on global languages
- Articulate a personal perspective on at least one global/international issue, especially related to area of study or vocation
- Identify meaningful relationships with faculty and staff that support their global and/or language studies
Linked Residence Hall(s)
Kreidler Hall (all hall)
Linked Programs: Language Resource Center
The Language Resource Center is a multimedia center designed to serve as a virtual and physical hub of international studies across the campus of Pacific Lutheran University.
- Our mission: To provide a welcoming environment and learning resources that facilitate and promote the research and study of the world’s languages and cultures.
- We have student consultants available for drop-in help. You are welcome to stop by, join our Zoom room waiting room, or browse through our on-line resources.
Learn more on the Language Resource Center webpage!
Connected Courses for Kreidler Residents
Connected course(s): First-year Kreidler residents frequently enroll in courses that thematically connect with the Kreidler communities, including IHON, Global Studies, and/or Language courses. Faculty from these courses regularly collaborate with Kreidler professional and student staff to provide linked co-curricular offerings connected with Kreidler Global Community.
Below are a few examples of programs that have occurred in this Learning Community in the past! If you have an idea for a wing or hall program, contact your Resident Assistant or Community Advocate to see about planning it!
- International Coffee Hours | monthly language table conversations on a variety of international topics; language/topic rotate each month
- Hong Discoteca | annual event planned by Residence Hall Council
- International Education Week | participation in co-sponsored events as part of this annual week of events
- Trip to Poulsbo | the Norwegian Wing attends holiday festivities in this historically Scandinavian town every fall
- Faculty House Dinners | RAs and Faculty sponsor regular dinners with residents from the wings
For more information about this Learning Community option contact:
Andrew Corse, Community Director for Hinderlie, Kreidler, and Harstad Halls | email@example.com