Residential Life is working on multiple approaches to creating safe and healthy living environments in the residence halls, including enhancing physical distancing. One important directive is to reduce the number of students living in any community via intentional management of how commons spaces, particularly restrooms, are used. To this end, we are spreading occupancy out among all available residence-hall spaces, making all rooms single-occupancy. Our aim is to continue to provide for community while decreasing the use of restrooms and other common spaces.
As always, it takes a community to make a residence hall a safe and healthy place; and so, by choosing to live on campus during this pandemic, a student is declaring their acceptance and adherence to certain community standards, including the following:
- Adhering to all current CDC, state, and local recommendations for slowing and stopping the spread of COVID-19, including wearing a face mask at all times when in your residence hall, except when in your assigned resident room or apartment or while participating in an activity that would be precluded by the wearing of a face mask, such as showering or brushing your teeth.
- Having only yourself and those assigned to your room/apartment enter your space.
- Respecting that some residence-hall common spaces have restrictions in place regarding the number of individuals present at a given time, and others are closed in support of limitations on size of gatherings. While using open common spaces—lobbies, kitchens, and restrooms—you will clean and disinfect surfaces before and after use.
- Completing the Wellness Check-In, your personal health screening that is required prior to leaving your residence-hall room/apartment, each day.
- Understanding that residence-hall staff will address any concerns that come to their attention, and will refer any violation of these standards to Student Rights & Responsibilities, which ultimately may result in loss of on-campus housing.
The above standards are current and reflect expectations for when the fall semester begins. Standards will be updated as circumstances change.