- M.S., Educational Leadership, Miami University, 2010
- B.A., Environmental Studies, Pacific Lutheran University, 2005
- B.A., Recreational Management, Pacific Lutheran University, 2005
Joel is responsible for Community-Engaged Learning through faculty development, community partnerships and CCES’ Parkland Initiatives. He serves on a number of local boards, coalitions and networks in the community and is a liaison linking PLU with several initiatives in Parkland and throughout Pierce County.
Joel’s scholarly interests include:
- Critical Pedagogy and Community Engagement
- Place-based Pedagogy
- Asset Based Community Development
- Community Organizing
- Urban Studies and Planning
Joel and Mandy, and their Isaiah, we are unashamed lovers of the 253. Home has included Grand Rapids, Michigan, Hopedale, Labrador, Oxford, Ohio, Nairobi, Kenya, Estes Park, Colorado, Gallup, New Mexico and Tacoma, Washington.
Folks that know him well know that he likes to work hard, think hard and play hard.
During his free time, you might find him hiking, cycling, kayaking, reading, trying out a new restaurant or park or working on DIY projects.