2018 Student Worker Sick Leave Policy
Beginning January 1, 2018, PLU provides paid sick leave to student workers in accordance with the terms of its new policy and applicable law. Student workers includes all non-exempt student employees and does not include exempt resident and community advisors or graduate fellowship students receiving non-wage academic stipends.
Read the full policy here.
New to Hiring PLU Students?
To request an employer account for posting and managing jobs, please e-mail the Student Employment Office (email@example.com), with “Request Account” in the subject line.
Reference the on-campus employer guide for instructions on how to use the Career Connections Opportunities Board to post jobs and hire student employees.
Things To Remember….
- All I-9 forms (Certification of Citizenship as regulated by Homeland Security) should be filled out in the Student Employment Office. The student employment office will be responsible for the accuracy of the forms.
- Students should not be scheduled to work until the I-9 and hiring form is submitted to the Student Employment Office. This will protect the university from being in violation of Homeland Security Federal regulations.
- International students must request a SSN and have the receipt turned into the Student Payroll Office before they can begin working. This will protect the university from violation with the IRS.
- You can reference the beginning and ending employment dates for students that are working for you by signing into your employer account in the Career Connections Opportunities Board. Jobs are entered into the Banner system according to the start and end dates that are on the hiring form. Be as specific as you can and be sure that you keep the copies in a place where you can easily access them for future hires.
- Be sure to notify students of hiring decisions. Many students are left wondering whether they have been hired or not. Please let them know as soon as decisions are made.
- Remember to be specific on the start and end dates. To keep from overlapping hire dates for students who continue working for your department, please keep your records or call our office to request information. We enter the start and end dates that are on the hiring form.
- Please use the Pay Rate Change Form if you want to change a student’s rate of pay. You can find this form on the web site under “Documents & Forms.” Use this form when the pay rate is the only change you are requesting.