Funding, Scholarships and Research Grants
PLU Financial Aid, Gift Aid and Scholarships apply toward your Semester Study Away program fees. We recommend you also apply for study abroad scholarships.
Start researching possible scholarships early-at least one term to two years prior to when you plan to go abroad. Most scholarship deadlines are well before the actual program application deadline, sometimes a year or more prior to the actual award year. Click here to view an overview of PLU and external funding opportunities.
PLU Study Away Funding
In addition to these PLU awards, check with your academic department to see if there are other sources of funding within your major.
- PLU Global Scholar Award Scholarship for study away students participating in PLU Gateway, Faculty-Led Short-Term, or Featured programs.
- Map Your Future Scholarship Scholarship for first-year students with 30 or fewer credits participating in PLU Short-Term, Gateway, or Featured programs.
- Wang Center Research Grant The Wang Center gives yearly grants to students and faculty who are interested in completing an international research project.
- Loren and MaryAnn Anderson Wang Center Student-Faculty Research Award Supports full-time PLU students who are working with their faculty to conduct advanced research in a global context. Grants in the range of $5,000-$8,000 may be used to support travel and living expenses, as well as research project costs. To apply use the Wang Student-Faculty Team Research Grant application available at the above link.
- Scandinavian Cultural Center Endowed Awards The PLU SCC offers scholarships for study in Scandinavia or faculty-student research on a Scandinavian-related topic.
Approved Program Students
Don’t forget to apply to external sources to help fund your study away endeavors!
Congratulations to Kashmier Anquillano (Barcelona Liberal Arts & Business) and Riley Shulman (Shanghai Economy, Business and Society) for winning IES scholarships for the spring of 2018!
In addition to PLU and Wang Center scholarships, there are many other scholarship opportunities facilitated by scholarship organizations and other providers outside of PLU. Eligibility and application requirements will vary. These scholarships are not awarded by the Wang Center or PLU. Explore the list of scholarships below and use the links to be directed to the organization’s website.
External Funding Resources
The links below may be useful in your search for funding. Check with the Wang Center or your program sponsor (such as IES Abroad, CIEE, SIT Study Abroad, etc.) about scholarships designated specifically for your program abroad.
- Bridging Scholarships: For study in Japan. Semester or academic year.
- Freeman-Asia: For study in East or Southeast Asia. Semester, academic year, or summer (8-week or longer programs).
- BUTEX: For study in the UK. Semester or academic year.
- DAAD: For study or research in Germany. Semester or academic year.
- IAU Scholarships: For study at PLU’s featured program at Aix-en-Provence. Semester or academic year.
- Norwegian Commercial Club: For study in Norway. Semester, academic year, or summer.
- Seattle–Nantes Sister City Goldmark Scholarship: For study in Nantes, France. Semester or academic year.
- Upper Midwest Rebild Scholarship: For study in Denmark. Semester.
- WSA’s Cultural Bridge Scholarship: For study in Europe. Semester.
- Diversity Abroad: For diverse and underrepresented students on study away programs. Semester, academic year, J-Term, and summer.
- Fund for Education Abroad: Preference given to first-generation college students and minority students. Semester, academic year, J-Term, and summer (program must be at least 4 weeks long).
- Benjamin A. Gilman Award: For students who receive Pell Grants. Semester, academic year, J-Term, or summer.
- Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grant: For students with a cumulative GPA of 3.75 or higher. Semester, academic year, J-Term, or summer.
- Fund and Seek: A platform for students to raise money for their study away program.
- Go Overseas: Additional scholarships and information.
- IIE Passport: Search for scholarships for specific programs and locations.
- International Scholarships: Additional scholarships and information.
- Money Geek: Additional scholarships and information.
- NAFSA: Funding resources to work, intern, research, or volunteer abroad.
Have you found a scholarship that’s not on our list? To share additional scholarship resources or suggest updates to this page please email email@example.com with the subject line “External Scholarship Resource.”