Study Abroad in Milan, Italy
From ancient Ambrosian chants to cutting-edge multi-media installations, Italy has always been at the forefront of musical innovation. As a music student in Milan, you have the opportunity to work with world-class musicians, soak up the local music scene, perform at a variety of venues, and attend a wide range of performances.
Fall Semester, Spring Semester, or Academic Year
Music: Tradition & Innovation
As a Featured program for Music students, IES Milan offers rich opportunities to study with highly qualified local instructors for both voice and instrumental performance, composition, and theory.
All students are required to take 15-19 credits per semester, and most courses are worth 3 credits. Language courses are taught in Italian, and all other courses are taught in English or Italian.
- English-taught IES Abroad Music courses
- IES Abroad Italian language course
- Private music instruction
- English- or Italian-taught electives at local music institutions
- Service learning placement and seminar
- Internship and seminar
- Strings Orchestra Assistantship
- IES Abroad Italy Today Program elective courses
PLU Course Equivalency
As PLU students choose this program, a Course Equivalency Guide will be built and uploaded to this webpage.
Pacific Lutheran University awards all credits earned in this program. Semester-long study away programs fulfill PLU’s Cross Cultural Diversity requirement.
Course and study tour offerings are subject to change.
IES Abroad offers a range of field trips that take you beyond the city to discover the culture and traditions of your host country. You share a portion of the cost with IES Abroad. These field trips are not included in the PLU comprehensive fee. Past destinations have included:
- Sicily – 3 days
- Tuscany – 3 days
- Lake Maggiore – 1 day
- Culture & Cuisine of Northern Italy – 3 days
- Alps Ski Trip – 3 days
- Secrets of Hidden Lombardy – 1 day
Note: these are sample study tours and may be subject to change.
Read more about possible study tours here.
This is a priceless opportunity to learn about Italian families first-hand and engage directly with Italian culture.
- Private or shared bedroom
- Breakfast and dinner daily with host family
- Commute time 5 to 40 minutes from IES Abroad Milan Center
- Live with 3-6 IES Abroad students
- Single-sex apartments, shared bedroom
- Fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher
- Washing machine
- Internet access
- Live-in Italian roommate Community Assistant
- Located on main public transportation routes
- Meals not included
The Collegio di Milano is a residence for Italian and international honors students.
- Single rooms with private bathrooms and balconies
- Computer room, library, and gym on-site
- Private park and auditorium
- Security system
- Breakfast and dinner provided daily
*This option carries an additional cost because of the extra amenities.
The PLU comprehensive fee covers this academic experience (instruction and academic credit, housing, meals (if homestay is selected), study abroad insurance, visa fees, and a $750 flight credit). To find the current comprehensive fee for one semester, divide the total full-year cost listed on the Admissions website by two. Please note that the comprehensive fee varies each year, and the cost of this program will be based on the year in which you study away. Financial aid applies.
Some air travel, personal excursions, and other miscellaneous expenses are not included in program cost.
Global Scholar Award
All PLU Gateway & Featured Programs are Global Scholar Award eligible. This need-based award can cover out-of-pocket expenses up to $2,500 on PLU Gateway and Featured semester programs. For non-PLU students, please check with your home institution or sponsoring study abroad organization on program cost.
Study Away Advisor & Semester Program Liaison
Contact IES here.
Sophomore, junior, or senior standing. Students must have a minimum 2.75 G.P.A. and be in good standing.
Fall and Full Year applications are due March 15
Spring applications are due May 1
A $50 non-refundable fee is due with the application. A $300 non-refundable program payment to confirm participation is required within 10 days of acceptance.
NOTE: Each academic year the current application is made available during International Education Week in November.
Applicants to IES Abroad Milan programs must also complete the IES application.
- Online application
- Short essays
- Faculty Recommendation Forms (2)
- Application fee
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester, or Academic Year
- Learn Italian language, from beginning to advanced levels
- Take private lessons with some of Milan’s top instrumentalists and vocalists
- Optional internship component