Study Abroad in Seoul, South Korea
Established in 2006, this CIEE program is designed to support students while they learn at a top-ranked Korean university and experience everyday life in Seoul. A special in-depth orientation and extracurricular program helps students get to know the country, along with 16 weeks of courses in English and Korean at Yonsei University.
Fall Semester, Spring Semester, or Full Year
Earn 15-18 credits per semester with a wide range of courses available at Yonsei University, the most prestigious institution of higher education in Korea. With 18 graduate schools, 21 colleges, and a student population of more than 30,000, including more than 14,000 students from 35 countries, Yonsei offers abundant learning opportunities less than 20 minutes away from downtown Seoul.
Courses are taught in English or Korean.
- Area Studies
- Computer Science
- Cultural Studies
- Korean Language
- Political Science
- Religious Studies
- Urban Studies
Discipline restrictions: Medicine, Nursing, Law, Music, any course at International Songdo Campus
Internships & Volunteering
Depending on their program of study and availability, students may be able to participate in an internship or volunteer. In Seoul, students can connect with members of local communities by teaching English to refugees or seniors, helping at schools for students with disabilities, or caring for orphaned infants.
PLU Course Equivalency
As PLU students choose this program, a Course Equivalency Guide will be built and uploaded to this webpage.
Pacific Lutheran University awards all credits earned in this program. Semester-long study away programs fulfill PLU’s Cross Cultural Diversity requirement.
Course and study tour offerings are subject to change.
Study Tours & Cultural Excursions
Every CIEE semester program has frequent cultural excursions and a multi-day study tour uniquely designed to complement the program’s academics and enhance students’ cultural immersion. In Seoul, past study tours and excursions have included:
- Discovering the meaning of lions in Buddhism at Hwaomsa Temple, exploring tea fields at Mt. Jirisan, watching the drama of mask-dance unfold at Hahoe Village in Andong, or seeing more of South Korea with similar excursions.
- Visits to the notorious Korean Demilitarized Zone
- Lessons to learn taekwondo or K-Pop dance or a Korean cooking class and street food tour
Live with a Korean family for the best opportunity for language and cultural immersion. Families live within a 40- to 80-minute commute of Yonsei University.
- Private rooms
- Shared bathroom, kitchen, and laundry facilities
- Internet access provided
- Daily breakfast and dinner
SK Global House is connected to New Millennium Hall – where many classes are held – and the Korean Language Institute.
- Separate floors for men and women
- Double rooms with private baths
- Large shared kitchen and coin-operated laundry facilities
- Lounge, seminar room, and study room on each floor
- Computer room, sound-proof music practice room, fitness center
- Convenience store, food court, and other services on the premises
- Internet access provided
The PLU comprehensive fee for Fall semester covers this academic experience (instruction and academic credit, housing, most meals (included in homestay), study tours, study abroad insurance, visa fees (paid for by CIEE), and laundry). To find the current comprehensive fee for one semester, divide the total full-year cost listed on the Admissions website by two. Please note that the comprehensive fee varies each year, and the cost of this program will be based on the year in which you study away. Financial aid applies.
Some air travel, books/supplies, personal excursions, PLU official transcript fee, domestic travel*/postage for visa processing, and other miscellaneous expenses are not included in program cost.
*Be sure to research your visa requirements as you may have to go in-person to a consulate or visa processing center. Depending on the country, there may or may not be a local consulate, and you may have to fly to another US state.
Sophomore*, junior, or senior standing. Students must have a minimum 2.5 G.P.A. and be in good standing.
*Must be a second semester sophomore when you arrive in South Korea. When applying, you must have two completed semesters of college on your transcript. IB and AP credits may apply. Ask your Study Away Advisor for more information.
PLU Fall, Spring and Full Year applications are due March 15
A $50 non-refundable fee is due with the application.
Applicants to CIEE Seoul, South Korea are also required to complete CIEE’s application.
Each academic year the current application is made available during International Education Week in November.
- Short essays
- Faculty Recommendation Form
- $50 Non-refundable Application fee
- Advising appointment
- Online applications for both PLU and CIEE
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester, or Academic Year
- Experience the capital and largest city in South Korea
- Take courses at Yonsei University in a wide range of fields
- Internship and volunteer opportunities available