When booking your event, the estimated guest count should be as accurate as possible. We require a guaranteed guest count five business days prior to your event. This number is used to plan and purchase the food and other items for your event. Your account will be billed for this number unless the actual guest count exceeds the guaranteed guest count. We allow for a 10% overage to accommodate your group. We cannot guarantee changes or adjustments within 48 hours of the event.
In most cases you may cancel your event with no charge four or more days prior to the event. Cancellations 72-48 hours prior will result in a charge of 40% of your total estimate. Events canceled 48-24 hours before the date will be charged 60%, and less than 24 hours notice will result in a charge of 80% of the total.
Catering with Dining & Culinary Services Meal Plans
If 25% or more of your guests are on a Dining Service Meal Plan, you may be eligible for a unique discount. Please contact PLU Catering for details and restrictions.
Due to Pierce County Health Department regulations and liability issues, prepared foods that are not consumed will remain the property of Pacific Lutheran University Catering Services. We do not allow food from other sources to be brought into events that we cater. The Director of Dining Services may grant exceptions to this.
Pacific Lutheran University’s Dining & Culinary Services retains the rights to exclusive food and beverage service for all on-campus events and receptions.*
*Certain rare events held on campus will involve catering from an outside source. All such events must have written approval from the PLU Dining and Retail Director at least 3 weeks to the date of the event.
Follow the 2-Hour Rule
The absolute maximum time for leaving prepared foods at room temperature is 2 hours, including time for preparation, serving and eating. Discard any perishable foods left at room temperature longer than 2 hours. If you are eating outdoors at a picnic or cookout where temperatures are over 90°F, discard foods after 1 hour.
- We at Pacific Lutheran University recognize that clients hosting major events (such as wedding) would often like to hold a tasting of their menu prior to the event. The following text reflects our policy regarding such tastings.
- PLU affiliated clients hosting an event with a specialized menu for parties of fifty or more people, or any external clients hosting a party of fifty or more people are eligible for a tasting of their menu.
- Menu tasting must be requested by clients no less than three weeks prior to the scheduled event. This time table is intended to allow the catering department ample time to order the necessary products for the tasting, schedule the tasting, and then adjust the final menu to suite the clients’ tastes.
- Such a tasting will consist of two portions of each item on the proposed menu. Certain products, subject to either minimum ordering quantities from PLU suppliers or limited seasonal availability, may not be available at the time of the tasting. PLU dining will make every effort to acquire products of this nature, or acquire an acceptable substitution in these cases.
- If a client decides to have their event catered by Pacific Lutheran University then the cost of the tasting will be waved entirely. If the client decides not to have their event catered by Pacific Lutheran University then they will be billed the quoted price for the two meals.
- Tasting are to be held at the Anderson University Center on the PLU campus. If clients wish to receive a tour of their venue this can be arranged separately through either PLU Conferences and Events Services or PLU Catering.