To: PLU Community
From: Office of the President
The PLU Board of Regents held its spring meeting virtually on Saturday, May 16, 2020.
- Elected 2020-2021 board officers: Ed Grogan ‘93, chair; Mark Gould ’91, Michelle Long ’85, and Mark Miller ’88, vice chairs; Susan Caulkins ’82, vice chair and secretary; and Patrick Gehring, treasurer.
- Approved the regent nominations of Kathi Littmann and Stacy Wilson ’03 for the 2020-2023 term.
- Approved the renominations of regents Joyce Barr ’76, Mark Gould ‘91, Darren Hamby ’87, ‘92, Matt Iseri ‘99, and Laurie Soine ’88 for the 2020-2023 term.
- Approve the PLU Strategic Plan.
- Approved the Candidates for Degrees for May 20, 2020, pending satisfactory completion of all degree requirements.
- Approved the following candidates for promotion to the rank of Professor: Rick Barot, Department of English; Maria Chávez-Pringle, Department of Political Science; Jacob Egge, Department of Biology; Brian Galante, Department of Music; Zachary Lyman, Department of Music, Justin Lytle, Department of Chemistry; Amy Siegesmund, Department of Biology; Tom Smith, Department of Theatre and Dance; Priscilla St. Clair, Department of Economics; Claire Todd, Department of Geosciences and Environmental Studies; and Rebecca Wilkin, Department of Languages and Literatures.
- Approved the following candidate for tenure and promotion to the rank of Associate Professor: Jennifer Smith, Dean of Inclusive Excellence.
- Ratified appointments of deans: Ann Auman, Dean, Division of Natural Sciences (2020-21); Teresa Ciabattari, Interim Dean, Interdisciplinary Programs (2020-21); and Mark Mulder, Dean, School of Business (2020-21).
- Ratified the appointment of program chairs and directors: Jim Albrecht, Chair, Department of English (2020-23); Suzanne Crawford O’Brien, Director, Native American & Indigenous Studies Program (2020-22); Erik Hammerstrom, Chair, Department of Religion (2020-23); Jenny James, Chair, Gender, Sexuality & Race Studies Program (2020-23); David Simpson, Chair, Department of Social Work (2020-21); Tyler Travillian, Director, International Honors Program (2020-23); Karen Travis, Chair, Department of Economics, (2020-23); Bret Underwood, Chair, Department of Physics (2020-21); and David Wolff, Chair, Department of Computer Science (2020-23)
- Approved the Karen Hille Phillips Regency Advancement Award Recipients for 2020-2021: René Carrasco, Department of Languages and Literatures; Lark Powers, Department of Music; Claire E. Todd, Department of Geosciences and Environmental Studies; and Katherine Wiley, Department of Anthropology.
- Approved a Regent giving goal for FY 2021.
- Approved a 90-day budget for the period June 1-August 31, 2020.
- Approved a matriculation fee of $250 for undergraduate students and $200 for graduate students.
The Regents heard reports on the budget, enrollment, the Strategic Plan, and the academic restructure.
The next meeting of the Board of Regents is scheduled be held on campus October 15-17, 2020.