submitted by Wendy Robins, Commons operations manager
A throwback to the original dish at From The Bayou, the popular cajun restaurant that operated on Garfield Street for many years.
- 1/4 pound butter
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped green peppers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh chopped garlic
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 teaspoons flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 4 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 3/4 cups tomato sauce
- 3 1/2 pounds of protein or extra veggies
- Prep20 m
- Cook2 h
- Melt butter in large heavy-duty pot. Add onions, peppers, garlic and all seasonings.
- Sauté, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent (15 minutes).
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add flour and mix thoroughly for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add whipping cream and half-and-half. Cook until cream thickens but does not boil, stirring often.
- Add tomato sauce and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add desired meat, seafood or crawfish. Stirring often, cook until meat or vegetables are done. The longer you let the sauce cook, the more flavorful it becomes.
- Serve over rice.